Please help fix

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.TypelnitializationException: The type initializer for 'PaintDotNet.Tools.Tool' threw an exception.--> System.BadimageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'Windows Base, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

at PaintDotNet.Tools.Tool..cctor

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PaintDotNet.Settings.App.AppSettings.Tools Section..ctor(String pathPrefix) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Settings\App\AppSettings.Tools.cs:line 327

at PaintDotNet.Settings.App.AppSettings.<>c_DisplayClass29_0.<.ctor>b_00 in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Settings\App\AppSettings.cs:line 112

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task 1.Innerinvoke(

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

-End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task 1.GetResult Core(Boolean wait CompletionNotification)

at PaintDotNet.Settings.App.AppSettings..ctor(SettingsStorageHandler storageHandler) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Settings\App\AppSettings.cs:line 124

at PaintDotNet.Settings.App.AppSettings.Initialize(Settings StorageHandler storageHandler) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Settings\App\AppSettings.cs:line 75

at PaintDotNet.Setup.SetupWizard.Mainimpl(String args) in D:\src\pdn\src\SetupFrontEnd SetupWizard.cs:line 917 at PaintDotNet.Setup.SetupWizard.Main(String args) in D:\src\pdn\src\SetupFrontEnd SetupWizard.cs:line 872

---> (Inner Exception #0) System.TypelnitializationException: The type initializer for PaintDotNet.Tools.Tool threw an exception. ---> System.BadimageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly WindowsBase, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

at PaintDotNet.Tools.Tool..cctor

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PaintDotNet.Settings App.AppSettings.Tools Section..ctor(String pathPrefix) in DAsrc\pdn\src\PaintDotNet Settings\App\AppSettings.Tools.cs:line 327

at PaintDotNet Settings App AppSettings.<>c__DisplayClass29_0.<.ctor>b__00 in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet Settings\App\AppSettings.cs:line

at System.Threading.Tasks Task 1.innerinvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() <---

It looks like you're trying to install paint.net, but the .NET Framework is not working correctly on your computer.

Please run Microsoft's .NET Framework Repair Tool.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

.NET Framework is no longer part of the equation. 

You're either using an old version of the app, in which case you need to install 4.3.7, or your installation has somehow gotten mismatched or corrupted files. You can run the PdnRepair.exe program in the installation directory, which you can also invoke by running paintdotnet:/repair at the Run dialog (right click on Start button, then click on Run)

You may also need to run chkdsk. See instructions over here

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

37 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

oops, I had thought the installer was still using .NET Framework. My mistake.

• Hugs 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

35 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

oops, I had thought the installer was still using .NET Framework. My mistake

Me too - now I learned something too t2702.gif

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

2 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

But there is an executable (SetupDownloader.exe) inside the installer which seems to be targeted against .NET Framework 2.0. Are you somehow running this executable on embedded .NET 6 runtime? I'm just curious to know.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.6742bf47fee8e6072a0219eb36b9257f.jpg

Like I said, the stack trace is from the app. Has nothing to do w/ .NET Framework for this one.

Actually, I take that back -- it's from the setup UI ("wizard"). Still, it's not using .NET Framework.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

To clarify,

SetupShim.exe is just a bootstrapper/chainer written in basic C.

SetupDownloader.exe uses .NET Framework. It just checks prereqs and downloads things (including Paint.NET itself, when using the web installer).

SetupFrontEnd.exe, which is the setup UI w/ the Paint.NET logo that actually installs Paint.NET, uses .NET 6

PaintDotNet.exe uses .NET 6

• Like 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Just now, Rick Brewster said:

To clarify,

SetupShim.exe is just a bootstrapper/chainer written in basic C.

SetupDownloader.exe uses .NET Framework. It just checks prereqs and downloads things (including Paint.NET itself, when using the web installer).

SetupFrontEnd.exe, which is the setup UI w/ the Paint.NET logo that actually installs Paint.NET, uses .NET 6

PaintDotNet.exe uses .NET 6

Thank you for clarification.