erase tool not working?

My apologies if this has been addressed already but I searched for this issue and found nothing so far.  Using 4.3.4 version and love everything about it except that none of the available settings (brush width, hardness, aliasing, ...) make any difference and all I get is a "checkerboard" fill pattern with the ERASE tool, as shown below.  I have also tried different colors and opacity but no luck. The PAINT BRUSH tool works fine and it follows all selected settings and I use this tool for erasing.  I don't mind doing this but I was just wondering if anybody has the same issue, or if there is a secret fix.  Thanks in advance for any replies.paint_net_erase_tool.thumb.jpg.745dca8bb507c07951f9c49ac7c5f948.jpg   

Edited by paul_keenan
typo

Hello @paul_keenan and welcome to the forum :)

When you see the checkerboard pattern, it means transparency.  If you make another layer above your image, you can fill it with whatever you like.

Also, be aware in your shot, that you have the 2nd color set to lowest opacity, which would render 'nothing' it you are using that color.

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 1 year later...
On 12/18/2021 at 10:19 PM, paul_keenan said:

My apologies if this has been addressed already but I searched for this issue and found nothing so far.  Using 4.3.4 version and love everything about it except that none of the available settings (brush width, hardness, aliasing, ...) make any difference and all I get is a "checkerboard" fill pattern with the ERASE tool, as shown below.  I have also tried different colors and opacity but no luck. The PAINT BRUSH tool works fine and it follows all selected settings and I use this tool for erasing.  I don't mind doing this but I was just wondering if anybody has the same issue, or if there is a secret fix.  Thanks in advance for any replies.paint_net_erase_tool.thumb.jpg.745dca8bb507c07951f9c49ac7c5f948.jpg   

I have just installed the Program and the exactely the same  problem

53 minutes ago, Ludwig Albert said:

I have just installed the Program and the exactely the same  problem

Which version of paint.net have you downloaded @Ludwig Albert?  It should now be 5.0.2

Also, if you are seeing a checkboard pattern after erasing, this means transparency, and that the eraser worked.

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

3 hours ago, Pixey said:

Which version of paint.net have you downloaded @Ludwig Albert?  It should now be 5.0.2

Also, if you are seeing a checkboard pattern after erasing, this means transparency, and that the eraser worked.

I think, that I have the latest version, but I`m a 72 years old  german beginner and do not know what to do other than to click on the eraser button, what do I have to do to avoid the checkboard pattern?

1 hour ago, Ludwig Albert said:

what do I have to do to avoid the checkboard pattern?

What do you want to be in the erased part?

If you erase, and then flatten your image, the part you erased will become the color of the background.

30b8T8B.gif

2 hours ago, Ludwig Albert said:

I`m a 72 years old  german beginner and do not know what to do

Please read the following page:

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

This should explain the checkerboard pattern and show you how to work with it.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:53 PM, Pixey said:

What do you want to be in the erased part?

If you erase, and then flatten your image, the part you erased will become the color of the background.

I want to work on a drawing.  now I know how to work with different layers, but the  eraser tool doesn't work at all. though  I have clicked on the icon and which appears highlightet, I always get the

"paintbrush" function. As mentioned before I can get what I want by using  the paintbrush in combination with the  pipette but it would be nicer, if the eraser would work as well

Hopefully this video will help with understanding the use of the Eraser Tool (used by dragging the mouse cursor), transparency, and the Background layer @Ludwig Albert

30b8T8B.gif