blinking carot in text tool goes solid after Windows+D (show desktop) and returning

NinthDesertDude

As the title says.

1. Switch to text tool
2. Click so the blinking carot appears
3. Defocus the paint.net window by performing show desktop. (I had some transient repro with switching tabs where it was hidden instead of solid, but couldn't repro)
4. Switch back

The blinking carot is solid and will not blink until canceling or finalizing the text and trying again.

Specs: paint.net 4.3.4 (4.304.8007.42994) on Windows 10 Home (19042.1348)

Edited by NinthDesertDude
This is a stable repro

• NinthDesertDude changed the title to Transient blinking carot issues with the text tool

Using Win+D to Show Desktop is still repro'ing a solid cursor for me. It might help in debugging this to mention that holding Control when the carot is solid and unblinking (which should hide both the carot and the control nub) neither hides the carot nor the control nub, so it's not just the carot in that case.

Edited by NinthDesertDude

I'm not sure if this is related (depends on how paint.net handles the caret) but Windows introduced a while ago a feature which stops blinking of the caret after a timeout (you can see this in every textbox control). I guess the default is 5s. You can change the value in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\CaretTimeout

You can set it to a large value 0xFFFFFFFF.

midoras signature.gif

it's unrelated (I can repro this 100% with Win+D to show desktop). I'll modify the post one last time to just change the repro steps to this since it's consistent.

• NinthDesertDude changed the title to blinking carot in text tool goes solid after Windows+D (show desktop) and returning
5 hours ago, NinthDesertDude said:

The blinking carot is solid and will not blink until canceling or finalizing the text and trying again.

I'll mention it locks the text as well. You can move it around the canvas, but you can no longer edit.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png