Fatal error during installation. (1603)

I attempted to update paint.net using the built-in automatic updater, though now at the end of the installation it suddenly fails and displays this window. I'm uncertain as to what went wrong and how to fix it, as I tried to use the solution presented in the comment below and paint.net wasn't listed.

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you in advance! ^^

image.png.e9ca8be6f104c6ed037a47358efdc6e7.png an

Please use this tool to remove any traces of the first install: 

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed (microsoft.com)

After this you can try to install it again from here:  https://github.com/paintdotnet/release/releases

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

11 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Then please see here: 

apologies for this but i dont really know how to use this thing. its installed and i launched it, what now?  nevermind, it's just doing its thing, i'll update if it lets me properly uninstall paint.net

Edited by Daneeko

3 hours ago, Daneeko said:

This... doesn't seem to change anything, Revo Uninstaller says it finished looking for installations and paint.net doesn't show up at all.

By this, I meant that no, I didn't use Revo to uninstall paint.net properly, because it never showed up as an option in the first place.

Is there maybe some kind of log file I can attach that would somehow help? Or any other way to remove the bad install remnants (or maybe its a different issue entirely)? Because it seems like none of the software made for this type of issue can even tell there's anything to properly uninstall.

(Still, I really appreciate the help!)

Edited by Daneeko

Can you see any Paint.net files in your Programs folder?   If you can find the Paint.net folder, then use the Pdn Repair tool.

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

4 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Can you see any Paint.net files in your Programs folder?   If you can find the Paint.net folder, then use the Pdn Repair tool.

A paint.net folder does indeed exist in C:\Program Files\, although where do I find the PDN repair tool?

12 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Open that Paint.net folder and scroll down the contents until you see PdnRepair - it will have a little picture on it.

Oh... that's the thing. The paint.net folder is nearly completely empty. Inside it, there's no files but two other folders, "effects" which im presuming stores installed plugins, and "staging" which contains a bunch of .msi files. Not a single trace of PdnRepair to go around.

image.png.2bfe2c1eea982f06a5f9d602ceb21e92.png

Edited by Daneeko

All I can say is that you must keep trying to uninstall the previous version by using this tool:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d

Yesterday someone had the same trouble and it took a while to work.  Keep on trying 🤞

Also, please see how this poster got it sorted:

30b8T8B.gif

26 minutes ago, Pixey said:

All I can say is that you must keep trying to uninstall the previous version by using this tool:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d

Yesterday someone had the same trouble and it took a while to work.  Keep on trying 🤞

Also, please see how this poster got it sorted:

The poster wasn't really specific with how he managed to get the .diagcab thingy working after it not working before. I tried running it about 7 different times now and it never lists paint.net as an option in the list. Various fix-modes? ?? ????????? I chose Not Listed again and this time it's asking me for a product code (not like that's gonna help)

38 minutes ago, Pixey said:

So, until someone else logs in with any further ideas, please read through this: 

I'll go with the former, since I'm reading through this and a lot of the stuff listed here is either unrelated to my error, things I already tried, or things I literally can't try due to said error. (Example: Using "PdnRepair" but the PdnRepair file does not exist in my paint.net folder)

This is the bit you really need to read, as it deals specifically with your error.....

Please download the .MSI installer, and create a MSI log file from the command line.

msiexec /i paint.net.4.3.4.winmsi.x64.msi /L*V %UserProfile%\Desktop\pdn.log
  • Like 1
  • You're a Smart Cookie! 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

15 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Please download the .MSI installer, and create a MSI log file from the command line.

paint.net works now!! I dunno how that was the solution, but thank you so much!! It just started working again after I ran the command!

@Daneeko, btw, Once you've installed with the MSI, you should also immediately uninstall it and run the normal installer (the EXE).

To uninstall it, right click on the MSI file and then click on Uninstall.

The reason is that installing with the MSI causes the updater to not work, so you won't get future updates. And you can't install a new version until you've manually uninstalled the old version, it just won't work.

Although I've seen it work if you 1) install MSI for version X, 2) run installer EXE for version X+1, which fails, 3) run installer EXE for version X+1 again, which succeeds. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've never investigated it because it's such an ultra-niche scenario (you're literally the only person who's had to do this in almost 18 years of PDN's existence)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

On 12/8/2021 at 9:28 PM, toe_head2001 said:

sorry guys, may you be so kind to explain me a bit more in detail the procedure to fix such a problem please?

e.g. where can i download .MSI installer for paint.net? how can i create "a MSI log file from the command line"?

thanks a lot :)