Painting

This is my first Thread not too good at searching your forum yet but hope too learn.

I have been trying this with my limited skills without success.

I want to paint my Jeep! I posted on another forum and got some great responses but I figure if I can learn this then I wont have to request. So a TUT would help me out. This is what I want to do.

From this.

jeep003.jpg

To this.

StrykerCG.jpg

I have been tinkering with it but can't make it look as pretty as this.

I appreciate the help.

open your picture

make a duplicate layer.

cut out the jeep using the tut

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4841

put that jeep on its own separate layer. use brightness and contrast and lighten it a bit use color balance under adjustments move the top slider just a touch towards the red side.

duplicate the layer and set layer blend mode to multiply and then dial back the opacity a bit. depending on the shade of red you want. and then flatten image.

you have some reading to do in the tut sections. all this information was there.

ciao

EDIT: another tip ..... think about when the car goes in the spray booth for a paintjob. the body man usually masks out the windows and they remove or cover the chrome portions.

you don't want red tinted windows and red chrome :wink:

Download Illnab1024's Alpha mask plugin and BoltBait's plugin pack. Save the .dlls files under C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects

open your picture

make two duplicate layer.

cut out the jeep using the tut

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4841

put that jeep on its own separate layer, then copy and paste it in a new image of the same size. Add a new layer to that new image, fill it in with white, and bring it under the to-be-painted body. on the top layer of that image, go to Adjustments > Curves. Click and drag to place a dot at the extreme bottom right of the graph (it should go black). Flatten and save it as mask.png for later.. use brightness on the cut-out parts of the jeep in the original image and contrast and make it entirely white. use color balance under adjustments move the top slider entirely towards the red side. Set that layer to overlay.

On the layer with the original unchanged picture on it, run Alpha Mask and load mask.png.

Select the bottom layer that has the original on it and make it black and white (CTRL+Shift+G or Adjustments > Black and White).

you have some reading to do in the tut sections. all this information was there.

ciao

EDIT: another tip ..... think about when the car goes in the spray booth for a paintjob. the body man usually masks out the windows and they remove or cover the chrome portions.

you don't want red tinted windows and red chrome :wink:

That's for a shinier version. I highlighted the changes in bold font. :wink: