My Paint.net User Files problem.

Pixey

I thought a complete reset of my computer would fix this problem, but I was wrong.  It's actually worse :(

The trouble is with Onedrive, which I thought I'd deactivated some time ago.  It's affecting my use of certain Plugins in Paint.net.  My Paint.net User Files are now connected with Onedrive for some reason.  I know my Onedrive is full, but I can't seem to delete enough files on there, to stop them telling me I need more space, which I'm damned I'm not going to do.  Any help would be much appreciated :)

paint-net-user-files.png

And when I try to open Documents, this is what I get

unable-to-get-to-onedrive.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

19 minutes ago, Pixey said:

And when I try to open Documents, this is what I get

It's looking for the Documents folder on drive E:\ ?  And pat of the folder path is OnedDRIVE?  (notice the extra d)

Someone (a person) manually set it up like that, not the OneDrive software itself.

You may want to change it to the default.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

• Hugs 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

2 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Thank you for that link, which I'll try.  I think that 'person'  was probably me trying to do something silly 😳

• Haha 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

If you're running out of OneDrive storage, and you're willing to throw a little money at it, you can upgrade it all the way up to 2TB of storage -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/onedrive/additional-file-storage

I'm currently using 317GB in mine

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

28 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

a little money at it, you can upgrade it all the way up to 2TB of storage

Oooo - I like the price of the 3rd one :)  At the moment I think I need to sort out the problem with the folder I messed up.  I'll try what @toe_head2001 suggests, but I have a feeling it's not going to be easy.  I'm wondering if I get the store version of PDN, whether I'll have better luck with the folders, as the Plugins go into a folder on the computer itself?

30b8T8B.gif

@Pixey

I've had OneDrive disabled for a number of years. Is it possible you disabled it from startup. Have a look in Task Manager. It  will look like this;

image.png.86d9a96c53dbcd59a5bea976a290e4b4.png

If you do Enable it, you will be required to;

a. reboot your your PC and

b. Be ready with your Microsoft password.

I'm not involved with any commercial enterprise, so I never need to have backups performed. I just copy anything important twice.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

I was going to mention a solution similar to this. I have a 4 terabyte drive that is used as a NAS ( Network-Attached Storage)

It is seated in an enclosure that is attached thru a USB 3 cable to a port on my router and a share it with other computers on my network

NAS2.jpg.65c605ff020c7ee5ca7ba91a8c67252a.jpg

58 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

I'm not involved with any commercial enterprise, so I never need to have backups performed. I just copy anything important twice.

Since mechanical hard drives are so cheap I have a cloned spare that I have in the desk drawer as a complete system backup and I have a back up of all of the files that I create each day, saved to as a copy on another storage device. I have had system failures that resulted in months of work being lost forever. I back up often!

When I had resent issues with Paint.NET, I was able to restore my shapes , effects, and filetype folders quickly because they exist on my cloned drive.

Edited by HyReZ

I have many backups: 1) OneDrive stores my documents, photos, etc. It's actually a really good, easy way to accomplish this, 2) all files backed up "on-site" using Windows' built-in File History to my enormous NAS (it's a Core i9 running Win10, stuffed full of HDDs, with 2x redundancy), and 3) CrashPlan backup to the cloud. Also, PDN's source code is on GitHub, so that counts as another backup. I'm not planning on losing anything, least of all Paint.NET!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

7 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

I'm currently using 317GB in mine

And THAT's why you get payed the big bucks------uh, never mind🙄----:lol:

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Today's data storage devices are pretty inexpensive.
I have 256 GB of storage on a Micro SD in my Samsung A51 smartphone.

Remember:  1TB = 1,000 GB

1 TB of One Cloud service is only $7 per month. The price of a burger, fries, and a drink.

Edited by HyReZ

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts :) I am still working on the solution @toe_head2001 gave me.

The reason I got into all of this trouble was because:

1.  A few months ago a folder appeared on my desktop, which I didn't recognize. (I've since realized it was my User Folder, and I have no idea how it ended up there).

2.  I then decided to move the contents of that folder to an external drive, where I back up things all the time.

3.  In typing the name of that folder, it was something like, Stuff from One drive and then I deleted what was on the desktop.

4.  Then the trouble began.

5.  I went back to the external drive, and dragged it back - but it did not fix the problem.

6. I am even dreaming about this now 😂

30b8T8B.gif

On 11/20/2021 at 3:25 PM, toe_head2001 said:

So I found out, after paying for more storage on OneDrive, that the problem was not there - as you said.

I finally managed to fix the problem by "renaming/moving" a new folder into the Documents folder, via Google called "How to redirect folders to a new location".  😊 Phew.

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif