How to Install Plugins ×

'GIF Animations and Images' FileType Plugin (.GIF, .AGIF) [Latest v1.5 2021-11-16]

midora

In this case you can use a non-null but otherwise empty token. Just create an empty class that derives from EffectConfigToken.

@midora, This is your weekly reminder to stop doing weird/hacky stuff in plugins. I'll be blocking the current version of the plugin in the next 5.0 build, and you'll need to release updated versions of your plugins.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

It was just not required to add a token up to now. There was no abstract definition or documentation which forced you to do it. I try to keep sw minimal. I asked about tool plugins which do not modify the image (to avoid the useless call of copying the current content in Render()) i.e. by a configuration flag. Why is this not possible? I had no intention to make you developer life more difficult 😉

These tools have been used for years without any issue. If they now fail in 5.0 then something has changed in the internal handling of plugins and they are no longer compatible. You can spent some time to keep them alive or not and block them. Or discuss a better solution for these kind of plugins. That's on your side.

midoras signature.gif

I would expect that creating an empty dummy token in 5.0 would also solve the issue. Non-tool plugins would just override this token.

midoras signature.gif

• 9 months later...

Hello!

Downloaded the plugin just now because it seems to be exactly what I need for my current project.  I followed the installation instructions - they seemed simple enough... But when I open PDN and try to load in a .gif file, it seems to just grab the first frame and ignores all other.  No additional layers.

Is there a step I am missing?  Thanks.

Hello @DeSignated and welcome to the forum :) 

If you want to import a Gif into paint.net, you must first save the Gif's initial file with .agif.

Here is a tutorial which should help to explain:

• Like 1
  • You're a Smart Cookie! 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 months later...

I tried to load/reopen a gif I was working on, but it isn't loading the individual frames! It is simply acting as if the first frame is all there was, like a static picture. Can anyone help? I saved my individual frames in a separate pdn file so it's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to know how to avoid this in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

58 minutes ago, KadinNova said:

I tried to load/reopen a gif I was working on, but it isn't loading the individual frames! It is simply acting as if the first frame is all there was, like a static picture. Can anyone help?

You need to change the file extension to .agif for the plugin to read it. If the file has a .gif extension it will be loaded using Paint.NET's built-in GIF format, which only reads the first frame of an animated image.

• Like 2

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 1 month later...

Dear,

I searched the thread, and I don't think it is mentioned here.

I tried editing an endless gif to loop only once.

But when I set the 'cycles' parameter to 1, it loops twice.

Am I doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, KamielF said:

But when I set the 'cycles' parameter to 1, it loops twice.

Hello @KamielF and welcome to the forum.

I may be confused by your question, but if you want the GIF to just go round and round, leave the 'cycles' at "0".

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

if you want the GIF to just go round and round, leave the 'cycles' at "0".

They want it run only once. Not run indefinitely.

@KamielF could you attach the relevant gif here please?

14 minutes ago, Tactilis said:

They want it run only once. Not run indefinitely.

I don't think this is possible in @midora's Plugin.

I guess it can be done online:

Can you make a GIF only play once?

How to Remove Loop From GIFs. The answer to the problem is very simple. Just open a GIF editor (or an editor that supports GIFs), then choose Remove loop option, and resave it. There are many freeware or online GIF editors that can help you achieve this.

30b8T8B.gif

Hi,

Yes, I was able to do it using an online converter, but I'd rather do it in an offline tool.

I can't really attach the gif because it is 6.5MB...

I suspect there is something wrong in the code, cycle 1 probably means repeat once.

Cycle 0 would then be correct, if it would not trigger the infinite loop.

5 hours ago, KamielF said:

Yes, I was able to do it using an online converter, but I'd rather do it in an offline tool.

I can recommend this free App, which may be of help to you:  PhotoScape X - Free Photo Editor for Mac and Windows 10 

@Woodsy a late friend of ours made my Gif signature below with it. 

You may have more luck using that, until @midora comes online to address this particular function you are seeking :)

30b8T8B.gif