How to Install Plugins ×

'GIF Animations and Images' FileType Plugin (.GIF, .AGIF) [Latest v1.5 2021-11-16]

midora

I'm really surprised. Roughly 1000 downloads in a month. Looks like that people still like to create gifs.

Working on apng in the moment and because agif and apng are sharing part of the code there will be also an update for agif (better compression in some cases, improved commands and preview).

Share their creations. 🙂

• Like 1

midoras signature.gif

11 minutes ago, midora said:

m really surprised. Roughly 1000 downloads in a month

I wish too, that people would share their results :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Doing AWEBP save, I stumbled upon an issue with the number of cycles in AGIF. Setting cycles to n (n> 0) shows the animation n-times in MS Photos but all browsers i checked (Firefox, Chrome, IE, Edge) show the animation (n+1)-times. So it is not possible to show the animation just one-time. I found some old discussions about this issue in the browsers and why they are all using now n+1. Maybe MS should change MS Photos because browsers are more important nowadays.

Because most people will use cycles=0 (infinite) I will not provide an emergency update 😉

BTW: googles gif2webp adds also 1 to the gif loop count to set the loop count of the webp. Means that the gif and the converted webp will show the same number of cycles in a browser (but not in MS Photos).

midoras signature.gif

Hello!

I am fairly positive I have followed the downloading and file locations correctly but cant seem to get the agif to show up on my file type when trying to open a file. Any assistance available? 

edit: I just realized im running 4.2.12 going to upgrade the software and see if this fixes my issue.

edit, edit: Yup issue resolved. I should have known better 😅

Edited by SourDoggie

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm getting the error message below for many (but not all) of the gifs I'm trying to open using this plugin. The gifs all come from the same creator and there's no distinction I can see between the ones that work and the ones that don't. I've changed the file extensions for all of them to .agif. I'm using the latest version of paint.net and just downloaded the plugin today, so it's up to date also.

Exception:

System.Exception: File does not contain a GIF signature
   at PropertyBasedFileTypes.ImAgifFileType.OnLoad(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Data\FileType.cs:line 507
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 166

Any idea how I get around this? Thanks!

Edited by dvc4

When you add the .agif to the gif file, do you change the second choice, Save As type (seen here in a video I made) to All Files - as seen here at the beginning of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8M9jng41UA&t=35s&ab_channel=NanetteAlsop

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thank you both for such quick replies!

I used the What's It? tool and it turns out even though they downloaded as .gif they're actually .webp files. I'm assuming there's no way to make those work with this plugin?

6 minutes ago, dvc4 said:

I'm assuming there's no way to make those work with this plugin?

No, GIF and WebP are different formats.

There is an Animated WebP plugin: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/119134-webp-animations-and-images-filetype-plugin

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

I should've searched before I asked. Thank you!

This is probably the most responsive forum I've ever used, thank you all for your help + for continuing to create/support all these plugins.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there!

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I'm attempting to use the plugin and - perhaps I'm misremembering from using another plugin - I can't seem to be able to load the individual layers to edit when loading a gif? I followed the instructions and all (obviously) but whenever I attempt to load a gif it just loads the first frame.

I'm entirely open to the possibility I'm being stupid because I haven't got much sleep and am far from the most technical person but I cannot seem to fix it.

It's easy to forget after a while.  You must save your Gif first, by adding .agif to the link address, and Save as "All Files".  Then it will appear as a blank page and you import that into paint.net and all the layers will open up:

https://youtu.be/o8M9jng41UA 

30b8T8B.gif

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

It's easy to forget after a while.  You must save your Gif first, by adding .agif to the link address, and Save as "All Files".  Then it will appear as a blank page and you import that into paint.net and all the layers will open up:

https://youtu.be/o8M9jng41UA 

That worked, thank you! :)

• 2 months later...

Hi @midora I am getting an error message in the latest version of Paint.net 5.0 when I try to save.

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\LookAtIt.Effect.dll
      Name: Effects.LookAtItEffect
      Version: 0.6.0.779
      Author: Martin Osieka
      Copyright: © 2015, ComSquare AG, Switzerland
      Website: http://forums.comsquare.ch/viewforum.php?title=Paint.NET Tools
      Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception
 ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'newToken')
   at PaintDotNet.ExceptionUtil.ThrowArgumentNullException(String paramName)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.ClassicEffectRenderer.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.ThreadFunction()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.DrainExceptions()
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.Abort()
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass44_4.<RunEffectImpl>b__9()

30b8T8B.gif

28 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Hi @midora I am getting an error message in the latest version of Paint.net 5.0 when I try to save.

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\LookAtIt.Effect.dll
      Name: Effects.LookAtItEffect
      Version: 0.6.0.779
      Author: Martin Osieka
      Copyright: © 2015, ComSquare AG, Switzerland
      Website: http://forums.comsquare.ch/viewforum.php?title=Paint.NET Tools
      Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception
 ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'newToken')
   at PaintDotNet.ExceptionUtil.ThrowArgumentNullException(String paramName)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.ClassicEffectRenderer.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.ThreadFunction()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.DrainExceptions()
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.Abort()
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass44_4.<RunEffectImpl>b__9()

@Pixey, please make a thread over in the Preview Center with this info and some repro steps

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

@Pixey, please make a thread over in the Preview Center with this info and some repro steps

Okay - will do that :) 

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

11 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hi @Pixey I guess you are getting this error on closing the LookAtIt plugin and not on saving something? That's reproducible for me.

midoras signature.gif

6 hours ago, midora said:

Hi @Pixey I guess you are getting this error on closing the LookAtIt plugin

Yes, that's correct.  It's saving alright, then after viewing in LookAtIt it gives that error message.  

30b8T8B.gif

Without the flag there was no dialog. We talked about tool dialogs which do not need a configuration (and no progress bar). It worked without creating a token.

midoras signature.gif

Why should anyone call ctrl-f on a tool if ctrl-f never opens a dialog? BTW: Because these kind of tools never exit with ok they do not appear in the ctrl-f menu.

midoras signature.gif