changing layers in order to read DDS files

I am trying to edit DDS files.  I was told to do the following:  "In your paint image, i can see the DDS image loaded, If you add a black layer behind that layer, you can see the image correctly. This is because you loaded the image with the alpha active. Put something black behind !

I have tried to follow these instructions, but not being familiar with paint.net, I could not do it.  Any help would be appreciated.  

On 10/24/2021 at 3:07 PM, stanleykuperstein said:

"In your paint image, i can see the DDS image loaded, If you add a black layer behind that layer, you can see the image correctly. This is because you loaded the image with the alpha active. Put something black behind !

It sounds like those instructions to create a new layer, move it below the image you opened and then fill the layer with black using the paint bucket.

The underlying issue is that many games use DDS the alpha channel for things other than transparency.

Paint.NET does not currently have a channels palette, which would allow users to individually edit and hide the image channels.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait