Virtual sketchbook or the natural?

Code_Ember

For this month (year or probably decade :shock: ), I will start focusing on comic sketches so I'm gonna start planning on archiving them.

Now in your opinion, should I use my belated b-day present card to buy all the necessary art materials (Mechanical Pencil, Indian Ink, Big < no swearing > sketchbook etc.) or just use it to buy a Wacom tablet? I was sorta leaning on the former but since I have the Adobe Collection CD, I'm not sure.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/Code_Ember/daredevil_v3.png

Code_Ember passed away on October 25, 2008. The Paint.NET forum staff and members wish his family and friends only the best in this difficult time.

What OMA said is very true. You should learn on paper first. It's really not that expensive to get the art supplies that you need to start with. Walmart has some fairly good mechanical pencils (I got 2 Paper mate clear point 0.5mm for just a couple of bucks there), and a good sketch book (Mead Academie heavyweight paper that won't fade or yellow and is acid-free - 70 sheets. Look in stationary, not in the art supply's. It also didn't cost very much at all.) I don't know what part of the world that you live in but if you have a Hobby Lobby close to you that would be the best place to get your Indian Ink.

In another topic you said something about how hard hands are to draw. I agree. A good Manga artiest told me to study the hands in the manga Naruto. They are some of the most realistically drawn hands I've seen in comics. :D

Natural: It's just so nice and because there are just some things which you can't simulate with a virtual sketchbook as oma said. It's like book vs ebook; the real book has the smell of book in it which you won't find anywhere else which is a part of it's "identity."

Start with a paper and pencil. Using a Wacom feels cool, but it has disadvantages. Unless you have something from the Cintiq series, you won't be able to know exactly what direction your hand and drawing are taking. And even if you have a Cintiq, there's no texture, no friction. I'd prefer you learn the techniques on paper, then move on to Wacoms.

However, you don't need much to learn how to draw. Just get a $2, 400 sheet pack of college-ruled paper and a few writing utensils (a No.2 pencil, a cheapo pen, a $7 pen, and a 10-pack of super-fine Sharpie pens), and start writing. When drawing, just pencil sketch lightly and quickly; you'll be making cooler stuff than you'd expect. Then you can later start to darken the sketch with a pen or something.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

usedHONDA's wisdom has returned to us! Huzzah!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yes yes, it is true but I can has no off-topic. :3

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/Code_Ember/daredevil_v3.png

Code_Ember passed away on October 25, 2008. The Paint.NET forum staff and members wish his family and friends only the best in this difficult time.

Note the bold text. I was making commentary on his comment; that is to say, I was agreeing with him. It's not off topic. It's very on-topic. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Why thank you :)

By the way, here's a neat little tutorial for you:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-modern-drawing/

(Instructables.com has solved countless problems for me; I recommend you dig a little deeper into the site)

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Sorry if it's a late answer, but I think pencil and paper is always the best way to start off. The tablet is kind of like a dessert, if you will. I'm not discouraging you from buying, however. :wink:

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA