plugins duplicating/

@Manc You must have a duplicate folder somewhere. When you are in Paint, hover your mouse over the duplicate entries and read the bottom line (Location) to determine where these duplicates are located. Here's a pic showing you what to look for;

hfA01dtYn1FMJIYqLkYLd0zb9bOM-J9h8QropGrQCxqLs49bxQS9ehQhjnVpWxJbZm-xjq_da0nN05vfbN2a7eU26FBSEtD7atfV8bgWkP4J1qOsIXMDY0S7niO84FAwjCpXBjX-=s0

Once you have determined where the duplicate resides, go to that folder and delete it. You probably have a backup folder your machine.

Shortcuts to other folders count as well.

Edited by AndrewDavid

qG3vze.png

3 hours ago, Manc said:

Here's the screenshot.

Hope it help's

As you can see, they're 362 items.

I can see only a tiny fraction of the 362 items. I can't tell much from that. I wanted to see if you have any subfolders in the Effects folder. You should be able to tell me if you do. If you do, that's likely a problem. Or the problem could be more in the lines of what Pixey suggests, of having both paint.net and paint.net App Files. (I didn't know PDN looked in both folders for the Classic version, but assuming it does, that would be something that gives duplicate plugins.)

The one thing I did notice is you have a plugin file called 808091270_TrailBlur(1).dll. The 1 in parentheses usually indicates there's another copy of the same file , and that was copied. If there's another TrailBlur DLL, one or the other of the files should be deleted or moved to a folder that PDN won't check when loading plugins.

@Manc Your screen shots showed the contents in your:  Program Files > paint.net > Effects.

Can you find the other location:  paint.net App Files > Effects.

They are two different locations.  If you have both filled with the same plugins, you will be seeing double entries.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

4 hours ago, Pixey said:

If you have both filled with the same plugins, you will be seeing double entries.

The question I have about this explanation for the problem is that unless Manc's changed the directory structure recently, wouldn't this problem have existed before the PDN 4.3 update? Perhaps searching both folders for plugins was added in 4.3, but that seems to me to be less likely than Manc having subfolders containing plugins in the Effects folder.

EDIT: I see that the ability to search extra folders for plugins was added in 4.3, so perhaps searching both the Classic and Windows Store Effects folders was a result of that.

Thanks @Pixey and @MJW for all your help.

I don't think I can fix it, so have decided to live with it.

I just thought there could be quick fix so will leave it.

Thanks again to everybody who tried to help.

Cheers.🙃

Edited by Manc

manc4.png

53 minutes ago, Manc said:

I don't think I can fix it, so have decided to live with it.

Don't give up so easily. You can fix it. It's probably either the problem I mentioned or the one Pixey mentioned.  Once you know which, you can quite easily fix the problem.

First of all, you can answer the question I've asked several times: Does your Effects folder (C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects for the Classic version) contain any other folders?

I have offered @Manc the option for me to help him with Quick Assist, so that I can see his folders :)

But, perhaps he can first answer your question @MJW  to  look in the Effects folder to see if any other folders are in there. 

A folder will look this @Manc You may not have these two, but do you have any others?

folders.png

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

10 minutes ago, Pixey said:

I have offered @Manc the option for me to help him with Quick Assist, so that I can see his folders

Manc should take you up on that. You could almost certainly quickly find a fix the problem.

1 hour ago, MJW said:

Don't give up so easily. You can fix it. It's probably either the problem I mentioned or the one Pixey mentioned.  Once you know which, you can quite easily fix the problem.

First of all, you can answer the question I've asked several times: Does your Effects folder (C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects for the Classic version) contain any other folders?

Hi @MJW

No it does not contain any folders.

Cheers.

manc4.png

22 minutes ago, Manc said:

No it does not contain any folders.

Next question. Do you have the Classic or the Windows Store version of PDN?

(Also, I suggest you take up Pixey's offer to help you using Quick Assist.)

3 hours ago, Manc said:

I don't have the Windows store version so must be the Classic.

Do you have a folder named paint.net App Files in your Documents folder?

3 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Do you have a folder named paint.net App Files in your Documents folder?

That was going to be my next question, also, but since Pixey will be looking at Manc's files soon, I figured there's little reason to inquire further.

@Ego Eram Reputo and @MJW So I managed to hook up with @Manc's computer and I did find he had another folder of effects in the paint.net AppFiles, which I deleted.  I then opened paint.net, but the duplicated plugins were still there.  I then discovered that he was using Windows 8 - he thought it was Windows 10.  Any idea why removing the duplicated Effects folder didn't work?

30b8T8B.gif

1 minute ago, midora said:

Did you check the two tooltip infos of a duplicate effect plugin?

No, I forgot to do that.  Another question, if he has, in fact, got Windows 10, why would it show as Windows 8?  Windows-8.png

30b8T8B.gif

1 minute ago, toe_head2001 said:

It's just a disk label; it has no effect on anything.

Thanks for explaining that @toe_head2001  I will be using Quick Assist again tomorrow with him, and will check the tool tips this time.

30b8T8B.gif

@MJW and @midora and @Ego Eram Reputo I checked again, cleaned up his effects folder, as it had a lot of Zip files in there, but the duplicates remain.  The tooltips show the same location, but I have checked ..... there are no duplicates in his Effects Folder and I removed the duplicated one in his paint.netApp Files.  They mystery continues :(

g3IPNe.png

30b8T8B.gif

1 minute ago, MJW said:

t appears to me that Effects has a subfolder, also named Effects, that contains copies of the plugins.

Yes, there must be.  No sign of anything in the usual places though 😜

30b8T8B.gif

If no subfolder named Effects appears in the Effects folder, and it wasn't just overlooked, perhaps it has the Hidden attribute set. In that case, it needs to be made visible by selecting the View tab at the top of the File Explorer, then checking the "Hidden items" checkbox.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJW said:

visible by selecting the View tab at the top of the File Explorer, then checking the "Hidden items" checkbox.

Thanks for that advice @MJW which I'll try tomorrow. 

30b8T8B.gif