PDF/AI Alternative FileType Plugin Alpha

I'd like to get feedback from experienced users before I release this file type plugin.

Some features:

• PDF Open/Save. Adobe® Illustrator® Artwork (.ai) Open Only (Experimental).
  • GhostScript is not required.
  • Support for importing password protected PDFs. Saving protected PDFs is not supported yet.
  • Native ARM64 support. But I couldn't test this because I don't have a compatible device.
  • Can embed PDN's layer and document properties into PDF as marked object data. When you import that PDF again, they will be restored. But this is an alpha release and things might change.
  • Supports exporting in PDF/A-1b, PDF/A-2b and PDF/A-3b standards.
  • Supports embedding images in lossy (as JPEG) or lossless format.
  • Has 4 modes for exporting:
    • Normal: Each layer as page.
    • Cropped: Bounding transparent pixels in each layer will be detected and removed automatically. So, in resulting PDF, each page can be different size.
    • Cumulative: Each layer blends over the previous one using the selected blend option for that layer.
      • Page 1 = Layer 0

Page 2 = Layer 0 + 1

Page n = Layer 0 + 1 + ... + n-

• The idea is from this topic:

• Flattened: Single page, flattened image.
  • Has option to skip invisible or duplicate (containing same pixel data) layers when exporting.
  • Allows importing all pages, certain pages, or same pages over and over again as different layers.

Known Issues:

• Can't process very large images. (width x height x 4 >  2.147.483.647)
  • Preview generation is not supported.

Installation:

• Download and extract PdfFileTypePlugin.zip
  • If you're using Paint.NET 4.3 or later:
    • If you're using Classic version of Paint.NET:
      • Create a new folder named PdfFileTypePlugin in the <Paint.NET>\FileTypes directory (default location is C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes).
    • If you're using Microsoft Store version of Paint.NET:
      • Create a new folder named PdfFileTypePlugin in the <Documents>\paint.net App Files\FileTypes directory.
    • Put the extracted files in this newly created folder.
  • If you're using Paint.NET 4.2:
    • If you're using Classic version of Paint.NET:
      • Put the extracted files in the <Paint.NET>\FileTypes directory (default location is C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes).
    • If you're using Microsoft Store version of Paint.NET:
      • Put the extracted files in the <Documents>\paint.net App Files\FileTypes directory.
  • Optional:
    • If you want to disable Save PDF functionality, create an empty text file named PdfFileType.DisableSave.txt in the same directory.
    • If you want to disable Adobe® Illustrator® Artwork (.ai) support, create an empty text file named PdfFileType.DisableAi.txt in the same directory.
  • Restart Paint.NET.

Download Link

Edited by otuncelli
updated
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I would use this @otuncelli.  I alter PDF files frequently at work.  I use Paint.net to do this.  Let me run a few tests.  Thank you!  😊

I imported a PDF file into Paint.net and made some changes to it. I saved it as a PDF and the resulting page was blank.

I also experimented with a PNG file and has the same result.  Here is the error message:

PDF_Error.png

Maybe I'm not using this correctly?  @Marilynx may need to experiment with this.

• Thanks 1

@lynxster4 Thanks for testing.

Tbh, I've never tried opening with Adobe Reader. I'll look into it. I'm getting the same error.

Edit: Turns out Adobe Reader doesn't like the way I embed PDN's layer & document configuration into the PDF. Foxit Reader and Mozilla don't have a problem with it though. I'll add an option to disable this.

Edit 2: The option is added. Disabled by default.

Edit 3: Fixed the main issue. Embedding layer and document configuration shouldn't cause any trouble now. The option is set to enabled again by default.

Edited by otuncelli
  • Like 1

Wonderful!  Works now for me.  Also, nice sharp conversion from PNG to PDF, too. (I only tried it on a png file)   This will save a lot of headaches tweaking PDF's.

Thank you @otuncelli!  ☺️

8 hours ago, otuncelli said:

Turns out Adobe Reader doesn't like the way I embed PDN's layer & document configuration into the PDF. Foxit Reader and Mozilla don't have a problem with it though. I'll add an option to disable this.

That's a bad idea. You should not allow to create PDFs which do not seem to be conform with the PDF specification (just because a tool doesn't complain).

You have to run conformance tests especially if you like to support PDF/A-1b and PDF/A-2.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

8 hours ago, midora said:

That's a bad idea. You should not allow to create PDFs which do not seem to be conform with the PDF specification (just because a tool doesn't complain).

You have to run conformance tests especially if you like to support PDF/A-1b and PDF/A-2.

It was previously passing all tests on VeraPDF conformance test. But I checked again, It seems to fail on one now. 

Do you know any other conformance tests?

Edit: Fixed the issue. Embedding layer/document properties won't break anything anymore. It passes conformance tests and Adobe Reader can open it.

Edited by otuncelli

I use the @midora / @Martin Osieka almost daily, so I was a bit hesitant to remove those files from my FileTypes folder in order to test yours. I did try it today and I like it. It works as expected, opens and saves PDF files like a charm. Mind you, I have no use for most of the options available and I did not test those, but it does the simple open/save operations without any hassle. Thank you @otuncelli.

If you're open to suggestions, I'd like to see an option to select the standard page sizes and dpi at both the open and save dialogues. The ease of use that these options provide, means I'll revert to the the @midora / @Martin Osieka plugin for now.

• Thanks 1

Xkds4Lh.png

Let's hope that Rick will once add the feature that the selected filter plugin in the open and save dialog will be used for the operation. It's not nice that you can not use these plugins together. ImPDF will be more strict in the future and just load PDFs created in the ImPDF pdf variant.

midoras signature.gif