Jump to content

Frequent "Not Responding" happening many the same session on a daily basis?


Recommended Posts

Like the title says the latest version of paint.net is frequently getting into hiccups and getting a "Not Responding" status on my Lenovo Windows 10 64-Bit Home edition. It does recover from this and lets me continue and only 10% that i am forced to use Task Manager to close it.

I have some system specifications. Could my laptop be underpowered not enough ram?

my system stats.jpg

Edited by Nocruor0
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are many reasons for this type of behavior. 
 

4G of RAM is definitely on the low side. If you can increase that, I would. 
 

It could also be caused by other software you have running, like Outlook? (a known memory hog)

 

Or, maybe your antivirus software is being too aggressive. Try whitelisting your Paint.NET directories. 

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BoltBait said:

There are many reasons for this type of behavior. 
 

4G of RAM is definitely on the low side. If you can increase that, I would. 
 

It could also be caused by other software you have running, like Outlook? (a known memory hog)

 

Or, maybe your antivirus software is being too aggressive. Try whitelisting your Paint.NET directories. 

Both outlook and anti-virus programs are something i don't use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Nocruor0 said:

Both outlook and anti-virus programs are something i don't use.

 

Have you run the Task Manager to check on memory and CPU usage? Often when I get a Not Responding error, it's not due to the program for which the error is displayed, but some other program that's hogging memory or the CPU. A common example of such a program is Firefox, which seems to eventually take over all the free memory available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too am experiencing a long start up with opening Paint.net and often get the Not Responding status too, which is sometimes helped by running the Taskmaster.

  • Haha 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

do you get the TV show Taskmaster in the U.S.?

 

Ha, ha - a Freudian slip from moi 😁 I'm not sure if that show is available here, I've never watched it myself 😉

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I too have this issue after an update a couple of months ago. It worked fine up until then it seems to want more & more memory every update. Do they think we can all afford to keep updating out PCs? I note that it uses a lot more memory but actually does nothing more than it used to. I would install an old version & not take updates if I could find one.

image.png.55c7374beb79a4e500a4e9300ca479a3.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2021 at 8:00 AM, MJW said:

 

Have you run the Task Manager to check on memory and CPU usage? Often when I get a Not Responding error, it's not due to the program for which the error is displayed, but some other program that's hogging memory or the CPU. A common example of such a program is Firefox, which seems to eventually take over all the free memory available.

Now that i remember it. I do use Firefox a lot. I'd normally avoid to mention this but i have a habitual habit of keeping several tabs open containing smutty content (japanese hentai images of fictional characters) well over 30 tabs since i have a habit of keeping old tabs open from several weeks ago. Don't ban or hurt me for this. 🤣😍.
Adding that to my very limited 4GB ram on a pc notebook that can't be modified then it's no wonder since it always seems gasping for more free ram.

Edited by Nocruor0
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...