Simplify text manipulation in Paint.net?

I've "used" Paint.net for many years, but only occasionally, and I readily admit that I'm not very good at it.  So today I returned here to again ask someone to remind me of what I must do to rotate a string of text I want to place onto an image.     

I saw Ardneh's explanation in the thread about "Text editing in Paint.net as in MS Word", and it reminded me of the right "path".  However, I got hung up after I had created a new layer, entered the text, then chose "Move Selected Pixels" - I couldn't figure out how to rotate the text.  Finally, I realized I hadn't "selected" anything, so I used the "Select Rectangle" tool to put a rectangle around that new text, THEN I used the "Move Selected Pixels" tool & that got the text rotated as I needed.  

So it all worked out OK, but that particular chore just seems to be a lot of trouble for me, as it requires so many steps to accomplish in a program I truly appreciate, but that I don't "need" to use frequently enough to remember all those steps from one time to the next.    

I'm sure there's a good reason why text rotation has to be done this way in Paint.net, but it nevertheless seems really strange to me, particularly because Paint.net lets me easily (1) draw a line, then (2) right click on the handle for that line, and (3) rotate that new line in a complete circle (if I want to) then stop it to rest at whatever angle I choose.  I don't remember anyone ever telling me how to do that, it just seemed intuitive and I use it all the time (well, as least when I'm in the program). 

But, when I try doing the same thing with text, it doesn't work in Paint.net.  Can someone explain why? 

Better yet, can someone explain why Paint.net shouldn't (or can't) be modified to permit rotation of a text string in the same manner it currently allows for rotating a line?  I think that capability would be a really useful and logical improvement for just about anyone who ever adds text to images.  

If the reason "why not" has something to do with layers (I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether it does), then why not modify Paint.net so it automatically creates a new layer for entry of that new text whenever the Text Tool is selected?  I've read many posts where others (not just Ardneh, as in the thread above) have explained that users should "Always put your text on its own new layer."  So if creating a new layer for text is universally important, why not have the program always do that (or at least include an option for that to happen for those of us who would really appreciate it)?  As I understand it, multiple layers can be "flattened" anyway, so what's the harm in more layers if the user is adding text anyway?  

I don't doubt that I don't know enough to realize why this can't work (or shouldn't be done) in Paint.net, but I'd really appreciate it if someone will explain the reason(s) why so I can understand it.  

Thanks.

I suspect that making changes that would allow the rotation of unfinished text

would be major coding headache, and there are many other potential changes with a higher priority.

There are changes to the program that I would like to happen.
Others have there own wish-lists.

Ultimately Rick will decide how he wants paint.net to develop.

I suggest that you create a .pdn file and name it Reminders.

Use the Text tool to note things that you might forget.

Then when you return to paint.net after a long absence,

you can read all the tips and notes that you have recorded.

6 hours ago, dpdalton said:

(2) right click on the handle for that line, and (3) rotate that new line in a complete circle

Thanks for the tip. You learn something new every day.

Adding the ability to rotate text by right clicking on its handle before commit sounds like a great idea.

Most users use plugins to accomplish bending and rotating text. There are several to choose from.

Have a look in https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/15260-plugin-index/ keyword "text"

Hope this helps :)

qG3vze.png

20 hours ago, dpdalton said:

So it all worked out OK, but that particular chore just seems to be a lot of trouble for me, as it requires so many steps to accomplish in a program I truly appreciate, but that I don't "need" to use frequently enough to remember all those steps from one time to the next.    

Most of these steps are common to a number of different techniques.....

• Ctrl + Shift + N = create new layer
  • T = activates the Text Tool
  • Click & type (or paste) your text.
  • Ctrl + A = select All
  • M = Move tool
  • Right Mouse button & drag. Yes you can reposition the rotation center.