Paint with "MS Office ribbon" UI

"Food for thought," doesn't matter if it's fake or not, that was not the intention of my post. I was going for "here is an example of what a Paint app with the ribbon might look like." I thought it was interesting and that some folks here might find it interesting as well. I did not expect people to attack me for it. :-P

Though I think given the source there is a reasonable chance that it is not fake (especially given that multiple sources have confirmed that the new Win7 build has ribbon in Paint), I know that anything like this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Nevertheless, I don't want Paint.NET to have a RibbonUI.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

This is not a suggestion for Paint.NET, just food for thought.

I know that the ribbon interface has been considered and rejected for Paint.NET, but I didn't really think about what it would look like until now. http://uxevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/09/windows-7-m3-build-6780-new-paint-ui.html

I'll apologies in advance for this reply becuase I'm guessing it's brought up a lot (?).

I'm just curious though as to what the reasons are for being against the Ribbon UI? I fully agree with the post in 'Popular Feature requests': "Everyone who has asked for this seems to think that the ribbon UI is some easy feature that automatically boosts the utility of the application and that it is appropriate for everything from MS Word, to Windows Vista, to World of Warcraft. It is not"

However I would have thought an application like Paint.NET it would suit it fairly well and be useful. If you consider the current toolbar and file menu set-up they take up nearly as much room as the Ribbon UI and as with all Windows apps include a lot duplicate functionality in the menus and toolbars. Additionally you have all the extra windows popups with I find myself having to move around a lot when working on projects. All of this would fit very well into the ribbon, very much as can be seen in the Paint screenshot above (real or not)

Just a thought, I'm sure theres more to it :)

Agreed... that's always a major hassle with any kind of UI change... I guess you have to toss up whether the change brings about a strong enough productivity boost to be worth it.

I know with Vista it took me a good 3 or 4 months to really begin to feel at home with a different kind of workflow, however once I had adjusted the benefits where huge productivity-wise.

No, please. See, the current Paint.NET UI wraps quite nicely around the workspace. It's easy to reorganize, close, and move the UI around the workspace to make your workflow more effective. Locking the UI in one place works quite well for something like MSWord, where you don't use elements from the toolbars very often; but when placed into Paint.NET, in which almost all of your work requires you to interact with the toolbars, it would just lead to frustration.

Please, no Ribbon for Paint.NET.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

It seems to me like that would just increase the size of the UI. Bleah.

EDIT: Plus, what's the point of having a ribbon UI with only two tabs?

No, please. See, the current Paint.NET UI wraps quite nicely around the workspace. It's easy to reorganize, close, and move the UI around the workspace to make your workflow more effective. Locking the UI in one place works quite well for something like MSWord, where you don't use elements from the toolbars very often; but when placed into Paint.NET, in which almost all of your work requires you to interact with the toolbars, it would just lead to frustration.

Please, no Ribbon for Paint.NET.

three cheers for David!

for the record I don't usually whine but if something like this came about well wawwwww!

@adondai tell me do you use this program for drawing? photo manipulation? or some other form of art work? A few months working like that and you'd get real peaved at that UI.

and be whinning for Rick to change it back.

ciao

OMA

Don't be so harsh.

They updated the colour pallet and increased the undo limit :P

@adondai tell me do you use this program for drawing? photo manipulation? or some other form of art work? A few months working like that and you'd get real peaved at that UI.

and be whinning for Rick to change it back.

I'll admit I don't used the software to it's full capabilities. I use it for any photo/image manipulating that I need to do, but nothing complex like I imagine a lot of you do. Mainly some filtering and cutting etc

So yeah, I can't really argue with that :D Probably true