Colors change when importing raw (*.dng) images from my Samsung 10e in Paint.net (version 4.2.16)

Hi. I'm having trouble with colors changing when opening up Samsung *.dng raw files in Paint.net.

Se the attached screen shot. On the left side in Lightroom it shows the correct color wich shows the same also in Photoshop, Gimp and Windows Explorer.

On the right side it's open in Paint.net and clearly does something to the color.

The noticable colors change only seem to happen to raw images coming from my Samsung S10e. JPG works fine.

However when opening up both raw or jpg files from my Sony RX100 M1 camera the colors look similar in Paint.net.

I have installed the RawFileLab 1.0.5.1 to be able to open raw files in Paint.NET since it can't open raw files natively.

I wonder why this happens and what can be done to correct this?

raw_file_import_color_issue2.jpg

Edited by Christian Dillner Hagen

• Christian Dillner Hagen changed the title to Colors change when importing raw (*.dng) images from my Samsung 10e in Paint.net (version 4.2.16)

It's also known that dcraw sometimes doesn't correctly parse ColorMatrix tags in raw files when converting to raster images.  That might be happening here, but I have no idea.

In recent years, most raw imaging software has replaced dcraw with LibRaw.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I just wondered why there is a difference when opening from my different cameras.

Sony RX100 and Samsung S21 Ultra seems to work fine, but any raw files from my Samsung S10e doesnt.

If this has to do with color profiles shouldn't it either work or not work for all or is there a difference in they way the different cameras save

color profiles? And why does it work when opening jpg files?

So does Paint.net support and work with LibRaw?

Upon further testing it seems like there is a noticable color difference between the color of the jpg and raw files on my S10e.

I can now se it also on my phone. So probably its just the way the phone deals porly with colors.

Sorry.

Although I do wish that Paint.net should get the feature to open raw files natively some day.

Edited by Christian Dillner Hagen