Saving image with transparency as PNG, but losing the transparency

AMeador1

I have a Paint.Net (v4.2.16) pdn file with my logo. It is a single layer where the background is all transparent (checkerboard pattern). I have previously saved it as varying png files that have maintained their tranparent backgrounds fine. But now I just edited the pdn and did Save As...png image type - but the background is being changed from transparent to white in the output png file.

Am I missing something here? Why is this happening - is there some setting impacting this?

Thanks!

I just figured it out! It was trying to save as 24bit by default - and that seems to be causing it to lose its transparency. Saving as 32bit is maintaining the transparency!

• Like 1

That's right. 24 bits is 8 bits for each of the RGB channels & no Alpha. 32 bits is 8 bits for each RGB+Alpha channel.

You're generally best to use Auto-Detect rather than setting the bit depth - for exactly this reason. Auto-Detect chooses the best match for the image.

• Thanks 1