Curved Gradient?

I am trying to create a tileable pipes for a game - just basic ones, nothing too fancy.

I started by creating few horizontal pieces (which can just be rotated for vertical), such as this one: (used as a middle)

image.png.76ebb0f46dd53b587aa10573fa8c88b2.png

As you can see, the filling is just a simple white-gray linear gradient from bottom to top, with repeat reflected, and a bit of cutting.

Stacking them:

image.png.ea98771ad80042ba9e2781316f57d61e.png

I'm now trying to create a turn-pipe, so a pipe can continue from horizontal to vertical direction. I have this shape:

image.png.fde7fa23cd89ef02202aca8cf67dca4b.png

but I'm not sure how to fill it in a curved way, so when placing them together it will like a fluid one.

Shape:

image.png.f5ec200483474fe112233110deb98735.png

Example fill (bad way):

image.png.cf431b121604c3ab0a7b9b7a8147d613.png

I think Edge Shader may be useful for this. Basically, draw the pipe on a transparent background, then apply Edge Shader, adjusting the Maximum Distance and Gradient Profile for the best look. You will have to clip off the ends of the pipe, to remove the section that's shaded from the ends.

• Upvote 2

@lynxster4 - I did experiment but was too lazy to upload an example 🙄+ got distracted trying to make the pipe shape in Shapemaker and gave up!🤪

I think a re-useable shape might benefit @Hodor but arcs of circles joined to rectangles are trickier than I remembered!😄

• Hugs 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

1 minute ago, Red ochre said:

think a re-useable shape might benefit @Hodor

I agree.  I simply used the Line/Curve Tool at 100 pixels, one end rounded and the other flat for my example.

It all depends on how 'fancy' he intends on getting with the pipes.  😁

• Upvote 1

Me? I'd cheat like hell and make the bends sharp, so the joins are simply overlaid pipes which are trimmed at 45 degrees

pipes.png

• Upvote 1

Also, if you make your individual fittings so they are contained in a square space, you can tile them easily using my TileWorld plugin.

Here the gray backed image is composed using the fittings in the lower pane.

PipeMania.jpg.64c1409f08aecd4efe256a7902 

• Like 1

nice, so many solutions!

@lynxster4 - @ardneh solution was also acceptable, but yes yours looks better for my case hehe. I'll try the edge shader!

@Red ochre - looks a bit complex (so many layers and shapes) xd also, why do you have that "squirkle" / blue circle layer?

@Ego Eram Reputo - I liked the fitting idea, nice! Also cool plugin, but looks like it doesn't have a zip so I'll do without. Still a great idea!

And thanks everyone for the help :)

18 hours ago, Hodor said:

@Ego Eram Reputo - I liked the fitting idea, nice! Also cool plugin, but looks like it doesn't have a zip so I'll do without. Still a great idea!

TileWorld is part of my plugin pack. There's a link in my signature. Using the installer (written by BoltBait) it's easy to install just the one plugin (although I recommend installing them all! :))

You're missing out then.

Many of the significant plugin packs are available with that same installer. The installer was written by Forum Admin @BoltBait  (very trustworthy)