How do I allocate more RAM?

3 hours ago, JadedTrekkie said:

I want to open a .psd file and have the plugin installed, but I can't open it due to lack of memory.

You will need to buy more RAM, or edit the PSD file some other application to reduce the number of layers.

In Paint.NET each layer is the full size of the image, so it requires much more memory than Photoshop to read a file with lots of layers.,

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

So there's no way to stop it using system RAM rather than the graphics card's VRAM?

Seems odd that you can have at least minimum OS required RAM and, as JadedTrekkie says: "......a great graphics card...",  which nowadays must mean at least 6GB VRAM and could be >16GB VRAM yet is coming up against this graphics display memory issue.

I think it might be a good idea to check the whole system's graphics properties (System > Display settings > Advanced Properties >........)  just to be certain there is nothing amiss in the memory allocation. I'd also check your system RAM (how much?) too.

My own recent experience of a part failed RAM module informed me that if you have enough RAM you can have a still apparently fully functional PC which only starts indicating there is a serious hardware problem when the system is put under stress.

IHaveNoName.png

22 hours ago, JadedTrekkie said:

I have 8gb RAM

That's clearly not enough, as you aren't able to the file in paint.net.

You can try opening the in Krita, since it handles layers differently. There's nothing wrong with using multiple programs in your workflow.

22 hours ago, JadedTrekkie said:

and a 1080ti.

Your crashlog says 1650 Ti.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

When I saw how much RAM he has and the reasonable GPU too, BTW both equal or better than recommended Photoshop minimums, I assumed, incorrectly, something must be wrong. The 8GB RAM recommendation only became standard in January this year, before that I think it was just 2.5GB.

But indeed with just a bit of Googling you can easily find information about how memory greedy Photoshop and just opening large .psd files themselves can be. There are 'experts' recommending fast 16GB DDR4 as minimum and up to 64GB, with, 8GB GPUs, i7 CPUs and SSDs being used too.   

IHaveNoName.png

More RAM is always the answer :mrred:

• Like 1