FFFFFF00 and 00000000 woes

Kokonut

Paint.NET used to work fine with transparent colors. I have an image with transparent pixels, the values of those pixels get saved, there is no problem.

Now EVERYTHING wants to be transparent BLACK! New layer, used to be white, now it's black. Eraser, erase some stuff, now it's #00000000! I'm like 99% sure it used to be normal transparent white before...

What's worse is that I've got an image, right? It's got transparent blacks and whites in it, right? It's for a game. This game's texture rendering is very old and bad, and only has specular highlights on white pixels, and not black pixels, even if it's transparent. So #ffffff00 is glossy and #00000000 is matte. But no matter how many times i re-save with FULL COLOR DEPTH the #ffffff00 pixels in the center turn to #00000000! Even if i set the alpha to 1 or 2 instead of 0 it collapses to transparent black! I had to make it #ffffff05.. Paint.NET used to work fine for this kinda stuff.. at least for the weird selection tool changes there's an option to give it the old correct functionality for magic wand and transparent pixels, I can't find any option anywhere to make erasers and new layers white transparent.. this is driving me mad. Full color depth is supposed to be lossless, why is it doing this?

Yes. Things have changed.

New layers are now black alpha.

This change was made without my personal permission. 😄

You can fix this by expanding the Color window, choose white as color, reduce Opacity to zero.

Activate Paint Bucket, set blend mode to Overwrite, dump alpha.

This should give you white alpha instead of black alpha.

You can run Transparent to Transparent White to change all the transparent pixels to FFFFFF00.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think the problem you have preserving transparency when saving files is due to the recent change in PDN.