Jump to content

Paint.net inconsistently saving pngs either in indexed color or RGB color. Need to set to just RGB


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi there

So I recently finally figured out the woe to one of my most plaguing issues when I do video editing on my computer. Adobe premiere has an incredibly nasty habit of just deleting the transparency of images it handles as if they never had it to begin with. I've searched for the solution for months and finally found the culprit tonight.

As it turns out, premiere eats the transparency of any images saved in index color modes, and as it happens almost everything paint.net touches ends up becoming an indexed png! The catch is too, not all of it gets saved as indexed! Some escape the wrath of the indexed png and I have absolutely zero idea why! So clearly paint.net can save both kinds.

Is there any way, any setting any plugin I can get that will allow me to export ONLY in RGB colormodes and not indexed, as now I have to spend the next hour or two mass converting all of my files by hand in photoshop (which yes, I prefer paint.net tools to photoshop, fight me) which is a slow and painful process.

Cheers

Edited by MechaMaria
fixed a word
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If it helps AT ALL The images I am working with are pixel-art sprites that have been sized up 1000x, but all of the edges to the sprites are still crisp and theres no semi-transparent colors on the image. Is that what is causing it maybe? Thinking about it the only images that get index'd are like this, crisp edged without any translucent colors

Edited by MechaMaria
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is above my knowledge base on saving formats; I had to look up what an indexed PNG was and I'm still not clear.

 

However what I do know about PDN is that whilst the standard Save As: PNG gives you only colour bit options the Save As: Optimised PNG gives you RGB, Palette and other save type options. Is Palette the same as 'Indexed'? I just don't know but in the absence of more knowledgeable advice you might like to try the Optimized PNG plugin: OptiPNG.

 

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/114190-optipng-filetype-2019-05-07/

 

IHaveNoName.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MechaMaria said:

Is there any way, any setting any plugin I can get that will allow me to export ONLY in RGB colormodes and not indexed, as now I have to spend the next hour or two mass converting all of my files by hand in photoshop (which yes, I prefer paint.net tools to photoshop, fight me) which is a slow and painful process.

 

In the PNG save configuration dialog change the Bit Depth option from Auto-detect to 32-bit (or 24-bit).

The Auto-detect option picks the PNG format that produces the smallest file size, which in your case is one of the indexed formats.

 

3 hours ago, MechaMaria said:

Thinking about it the only images that get index'd are like this, crisp edged without any translucent colors

 

The Indexed PNG formats do not support semi-transparent colors, so any images that have them will be saved as 32-bit RGBA.

  • You're a Smart Cookie! 2

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, null54 said:

In the PNG save configuration dialog change the Bit Depth option from Auto-detect to 32-bit (or 24-bit).

The Auto-detect option picks the PNG format that produces the smallest file size, which in your case is one of the indexed formats.

Thank you

Edited by MechaMaria
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...