Your Occupation.

I'm a programmer, but I've had my fair share of odd jobs over the years.

My first real paid job was a math tutor. This was back when I was in high school.

Fun story from when I was in 10th grade:

I also math tutor in an unpaid capacity: I had a class period where I would tutor some of the students in the 'independent studies' program.  I'm pretty sure I received some high school credits for this, but I don't remember the details.  Anyways, this happen during 4th period. After that was lunch, and then I ended the day with two periods of physical education!

So yeah, for a time, only the first half of my school day involved legitimate classes. Considering I hated high school, it was pretty great.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

In my high school days I worked at two nursing homes, delivering the meal trays and feeding the residents who could not do it themselves. I grew fond of many of them as they told me cool stories. I have also been a bank teller at 2 different banks, a Quality Control Monitor for Visa International and my longest job and one I really enjoyed was as an Editorial Technician handling the multi-media products written and edited by several lawyers. Have also worked in a grocery store in pretty much all departments they needed help, and for the Department of Veterans Affairs I worked as a medical claims reviewer for claims that had been rejected. I also liked this job as I pictured helping veterans who were frustrated with a system that should have their best interest at heart for their service and sacrifice. And currently due to illness I am working only part-time at a Florist where I have flexibility for doctor's appointments and lots of interesting job experiences except for flower arranging. I would kill any flower or plant since I have a black thumb lol.

Oh, I forgot to mention the one school day I covered a friend's Spanish class for a small independent school. Being a Native speaker she asked me (begged since I hate public speaking) to cover her class. Needless to say I was nervous and mostly because it was a room full of teenagers!

Edited by Ladybug
  • Like 2

Click HERE to see my Pictorium of images I have worked on.

lMbNWe.png

You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you.

~ Isadora Duncan

On 5/2/2021 at 10:14 PM, Lloyd said:

Former recording artist

Should this not read respected, retired pop star? 

Your bands second album Afternoons in Utopia, sound tracked my journey from where I was, to what I wanted to achieve. And thanks to artists like you, I reached my goal. 100% respect for that. 

• Upvote 2

BREtKQW.png

12 hours ago, DrewDale said:

Should this not read respected, retired pop star? 

Your bands second album Afternoons in Utopia, sound tracked my journey from where I was, to what I wanted to achieve. And thanks to artists like you, I reached my goal. 100% respect for that. 

Yes, I smiled at the response & thought, wow, you are so much more than that. 

• Hugs 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Thank you @DrewDale for your kind words, it's humbling to know that something that started life as a bunch of rough idea's on note paper, can end up influencing or changing the direction in peoples lives. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

iNUIdNo.jpg

Posted (edited)

It is fascinating to read the different stuff people do for a living, including what they did previously.

To build on my current role, I was previously an Electronic Technician for 2 years at the same company I am currently employed by, and before that Electronic Assembler (same company). I have been employed by the same company for going on 16 years and strong.  I once held a job as for a door manufacturer for 3 years before I had enough of them (that company eventually folded after being bought out 3 times after I left).

Before the pandemic hit, I also serve as an acolyte for my tiny Anglican parish, and hope to return to that role soon.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 2

Retired now, but I was a "grade-checker", the one who set up control for the bulldozer drivers/excavators/other equipment operators, maybe you've noticed on large construction projects wooden lathes with colored ribbons on them? My job. Diff colors = diff numbers (in feet), , , ,

-c-

I also ran the machines but prefered bein' on the ground!

• Like 2

'Where's my plinth?'

@DrewDale

Also as a footnote, I do remember seeing you perform at horseguards parade, London in 1998 with Mike Oldfield on his Tubular Bells III tour (I have just watched a video of said performance) only thing I can say about it, is keyboard players are not supposed to dance too much on stage (enigmatic and cool remember 😂

Good performance though. I have heard that working with him can be difficult though?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

iNUIdNo.jpg

3 hours ago, Lloyd said:

@DrewDale

only thing I can say about it, is keyboard players are not supposed to dance too much on stage (enigmatic and cool remember 😂

Good performance though. I have heard that working with him can be difficult.

:lol: Force of habbit, If there's a beat you need to moove. I have also just began to play bass guitar once agin, so even more movement will be on the cards,  despite my age. :lol:

Yes, He can be a bit demanding sometimes, fun to be had on his terms only, good times but I never completed the entire tour. 

• Like 1

BREtKQW.png