Crash logs have no data

Hatori360

Paint.net crashed twice today while working with layers. A rather large error file popped on the screen and Paint.net suddenly closed seconds later. I had zero time tp read the multiple lines of text. I did manage to see that the title of the message was about a Paint.net error. 

I reopened Paint.net and navigated to the Settings area and copied the diagnostic report. When I clicked on "Open the Crash Log Folder," I saw that the two Crash Log files existed, but there was 0 kb of data for both files. I opened each one and there was no data.

A few months ago, I tried finding crash logs and could not locate them. I uninstalled Paint.net and reinstalled it. It does not crash as much, but I worked on some images for a couple of hours or better, and it is quite disappointing to have Paint.net crash in the middle of intense work. 

One administrator said I might have bad graphics drivers, so I have done a clean installation of my Nvidia drivers. I selected the Creator version instead of the Gaming version.

I did notice that the Paint.net crash log folder is on OneDrive, which might be a problem. I need to stop using it. Wish I had never used it in the first place. Didn't quite think it would be so intrusive as to put every file there instead of my SSD.

Even though you're using the Nvidia GeForce as your primary GPU, please update the driver for your Intel graphics as well.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Sometimes people configure their drivers to explicitly use Nvidia or Intel graphics when running Paint.NET.  Please check your driver settings if you have set up such a configuration.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Thanks, I let Windows auto update most drivers. Did my diagnostic's log show an out of date driver for the Intel UHD 630 on board card, or were you just cautioning me to check?

Just now, Hatori360 said:

Did my diagnostic's log show an out of date driver for the Intel UHD 630 on board card

Indeed it did. The driver you have installed is almost 6 months out-of-date.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

18 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Even though you're using the Nvidia GeForce as your primary GPU, please update the driver for your Intel graphics as well.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Sometimes people configure their drivers to explicitly use Nvidia or Intel graphics when running Paint.NET.  Please check your driver settings if you have set up such a configuration.

BTW, and this is something that isn't obvious and wasn't known to me for awhile either, but the ordering of the GPUs that are listed is what determines which one gets used. That is, the first one in the list is used by Direct2D/Direct3D unless the app specifically asks for a different one (which PDN does not do). When the GPU's control panel is reconfigured to prioritize the iGPU vs. the dGPU, it basically just flips the ordering of the GPUs for the enumeration code, thus causing a different one to be auto-selected.

In this case it looks like the NVIDIA GPU is the default/first.

(this is also what caused the crazy hard to track down bug with 2nd gen Intel Core processors + some NVIDIA GPUs on laptops. It would change the order based on the control panel setting, but it also had a bug that caused a GPU device to be selected even when the WARP/software device was asked for. All sorts of trouble. NVIDIA never fixed that AFAIK.)

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I suspected there was some configuration issues.

Just had another crash. Black screen and long wait. Rebooted and tried again with same screen. Powered off again by holding the power button for about 30 seconds after shutdown to clear the capacitors. Powered on after about a minute and checked my log files. DistributedCOM issues. Checked for MS updates and rebooted after the install of KB4023057: Update for Windows 10 Update Service components.

Crash log attached

pdncrash.4.log