Is there some way to prevent Primary/Secondary tab in color window from switching automatically?

ruffles

I might be the only person who has this problem, but I've never found it useful and it pretty much always screws me up for a little while while I wonder why my primary color isn't adjusting. So is there some way to just stop it doing that?

The Primary and Secondary don't switch automatically; you have to click (or press C on your keyboard) to switch them.

If you're asking if you can completely disable the Secondary color, you can not.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

On 4/9/2021 at 4:29 PM, ruffles said:

They switch automatically if you use the color picker 

No, they don't. Edit: Incorrect - see @BoltBait's answer below.

Make sure you're using the correct mouse button:

The color of the pixel under the cursor will be installed to the Primary color (Left Mouse button) or the Secondary color (Right Mouse button).

Are you using "C" to try and select the color picker? (it's shortcut is K)

36 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:
1 hour ago, ruffles said:

They switch automatically if you use the color picker 

No, they don't.

Yes, actually, they do.

With your color docker window open and set to Primary, click on the color picker tool: :ColorPickerTool:

Out in your image, right-click on a pixel to set your Secondary color.

Notice that your color docker window is now set to Secondary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BoltBait said:

Out in your image, right-click on a pixel to set your Secondary color.

Notice that your color docker window is now set to Secondary.

I agree with @ruffles that that it would be better if the Primary and Secondary color selection in the color window would only be changed by the drop-down list. Also, there's an oddity about the way the selection is changed by the Color Picker. If the selection is Primary, and a color is right-clicked on, the selection only changes to Secondary if the clicked-on color is different from the current Secondary color. If the color matches the Secondary color, the selection remains at Primary. (The same is true the other way around.)

EDIT: On second thought, I see the reason for changing the selection when the Color Picker is used. When the detailed color is shown (i.e., "More") it's useful to see the color information for the clicked-on color. I suppose I still think it would be better if it weren't automatically changed.  No matter which way it works, I think the oddity I described should be eliminated. I'm sure there's some reason behind it, but I think it's needlessly confusing.