Imported images are pixelated

Whenever I create a new layer by importing a file, the image is pixelated. It makes the document look low quality because the images are so blurry. I tried to copy and paste images and the same thing happens. Does paint.net automatically pixelate any images that are added or is there a way to keep pictures more clear when I insert them? I have looked for answers on the forums and had no success. I have tried sharpening, resizing, and an add-in called AA assistant. Sharpening only made the brightness change and the other two solutions did absolutely nothing.

Possibly the image is just zoomed in, or the imported image is of lower resolution than the one you're importing it onto. PDN is not going to mess with the resolution or deliberatly pixelate the image.

Post a screenshot of the problem, and we'll help diagnose the issue (so long as the images are family friendly). Showing us the status bar too so we can see the settings there.

3 hours ago, Reptillian said:

This could be the case of well, it's a pixel editor. And inherent limitations.

15 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Possibly the image is just zoomed in

Yes, that is the problem. I like to make maps with paint.net but when I add photos they always look really bad when you zoom in. The maps are usually very detailed and the pictures have to made to be pretty small to fit, so people will have to zoom in to see them. This also goes for small text. Is making things small in this program always going to cause this problem? If not that is fine, I will probably just have to pay for something fancier.

Edited by Esserq

1 hour ago, Esserq said:

Yes, that is the problem. I like to make maps with paint.net but when I add photos they always look really bad when you zoom in. The maps are usually very detailed and the pictures have to made to be pretty small to fit, so people will have to zoom in to see them. This also goes for small text. Is making things small in this program always going to cause this problem? If not that is fine, I will probably just have to pay for something fancier.

You can always increase resolution for text. However, with photos, that's going to be a issue. You'd probably need a big canvas size.

You don't need to pay, there's also Inkscape, but it's harder to make maps there.

G'MIC Filter Developer