Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

First of all, the animation was indeed done in PDN. The chrome reflection is made using one of my E-Maps, which I've previously posted in another thread about chrome reflection. Since this is getting a little ridiculous, please omit my entries from this contest...

Thanks. 

69unju0.gif

Thank you for the clarification on both counts @dipstick  I had to ask about the animation, as you often use other software, and also about the reflection, and your reply is appreciated. 

Your entries will be included in the Poll - but please can you re-size them to 600 x 600 :)  Thank you.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

47 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Since this is getting a little ridiculous, please omit my entries from this contest.

I fail to see the ridiculousness.  There's nothing wrong with verifying that the rules are followed, is there?

You have ensured us that you followed the rules, so why omit them?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

And, just for the record, it wasn't me who asked @welshblue if his entry was 'iffy' 😁.  The bowl is obviously - and the round red pill shape - done with Shape 3D and I recall his marble from a previous work of his 😉

For the record, if @dipstick fails to re-size his 2 images, I will not be able to include them in the Poll -  'coz ....... Rules are rules 😉

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I guess @dipstick chose not to resize his entry. Too bad; it was very well done.

I do, however, think there should be a rule for future competitions disallowing animation. I don't think it's really in the spirit of OOTF.

4 hours ago, Pixey said:

let's hear what he thinks about the non animation idea

Personally, I agree: animated images shouldn't be allowed.

If you want to show off animated version of your object, you may post a link to it in your entry post. But of course, your entry will only consist of the image actually displayed in post. Nothing more; nothing less.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

12 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Nah it was a one post wonder and to be fair, not in a nasty way ... but it sort of plants the seed of doubt ... plus I wouldn't risk your wrath 😉

Yep - hubby would advise against doing that smileys-boxen-629053.gif

17 minutes ago, welshblue said:

A possible monthly comp for animations could be cool ... there's a few great animators here

Hmm - that's an idea but I don't think that subject is very popular with the majority on here.  But I could be wrong.  And we may have just lost one of them 😉.

I do hope @dipstick is not mad with us for long :lol:

30b8T8B.gif

Not mad at all. I post things because I like to post what I consider is cool. Not at all interested in winning. If people like it, then it's cool, if not, that's fine too, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Art is first and foremost very subjective...

If I make something I like in the future, I'll post it, rest assured.

69unju0.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very sorry and disappointed to say I won't have an entry in the Guitar theme. Believe me, I spent many hours working on one, but I can't finish it by the deadline. I wasted too much time in the beginning on details that wouldn't even be visible in the final image, so that even by cutting a few corners, I can't get it done in time.

A Guitar is, I think, a poor choice for a theme. I realized (too late)  that it's one of those themes -- like the Watch -- that requires a seemingly unending number of rather difficult components. I certainly applaud those who did complete entries..

On 4/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, MJW said:

A Guitar is, I think, a poor choice for a theme. I realized (too late)  that it's one of those themes -- like the Watch -- that requires a seemingly unending number of rather difficult components. I certainly applaud those who did complete entries..

Agreed.

My original proposal:

On 12/18/2016 at 5:03 AM, toe_head2001 said:

Ideally, the object would be something without too much complexity in its structure.

e.g. banana, Christmas tree ornament, CD, book, wood sign, mug

But that's just my opinion. Ultimately, the competition should do what ever is popular with the people who participate.

So, judging by the participate count of only three entries... maybe a Guitar was a bit too complex.

bp-sig.png

Obviously, if I'd known ahead of time how difficult it would prove to be, I would have selected a different theme. Until I've actually attempted to produce an object, I have a hard time anticipating how difficult it will be.

Yes, I must accept the dubious distinction. I should make a mental inventory of the number of separate parts making up an object before committing to a theme. I would have realized the the tuners alone make the guitar a very difficult subject.

EDIT: Not that I don't think about the complexity to some extent. There's a certain balancing, though. If I spend too much time thinking about how hard it would be for me to do, using my techniques, I end of choosing themes specifically suited to me, which isn't really fair.

Just would like to thank @Woodsy and @lynxster4 for stepping up to help me last weekend in the OofF. 

I was taken ill very suddenly last Saturday at exactly 2 PM when the Poll should have been put up 😱  I was in hospital for 4 days on an IV with antibiotics.  I am in the middle of chemo for bladder cancer and got a very nasty infection which hit me very rapidly and had to cal  911.  I'm back home now and hope to get back to normal soon :D

30b8T8B.gif

18 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

It's good to have you back! You're supposed to be resting though. 😊

Ditto, that!   :P     Now, go and rest...

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your Best Wishes :D.  I am feeling myself today, so will continue with the next round of the OotF.  Again, many thanks to @Woodsy and @lynxster4 for their help :star:

• Like 2

30b8T8B.gif

It still fascinates me just how much artistic talent there is on this Forum, and especially the amazing creative objects which Paint.Net can create.

Kindest wishes

Roger the Dodger 😊

• Like 2