plugins suddenly do not show up

dfuent

Today when I went to use one of my paint.net plugins, I found it missing (odd phrasing, but accurate). The plugins are still in the directory where they belong. My suspicion is that this happened in the latest update, but I don't know for sure. How do I get the plugins to reappear?

Which plugins?

Are there any errors that show up if you go to Settings (gear icon at top right of main window) -> Plugin Errors? If so, paste them here.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I should also say that I installed the free version of paint.net before I bought the paid version. If I start the program from its shortcut, I used to get paint.net with no plugins. When I started it by clicking on an image file, the plugins appeared. Today, no such luck. I tried to figure out how to uninstall the version that didn't work with the plugins, but cannot figure that out.

Plugins for the store version have to be installed differently.

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

In the Windows Store version of paint.net, the directories for plugins and Shapes are different. These locations need to be created manually.

First navigate to your Documents folder (this may be translated to your system language). In it, create a new folder called paint.net App Files
Then create three subfolders in the new folder. These should be called: Effects, FileTypes and Shapes.
The correct spelling of these folder names is essential, however Windows and paint.net will ignore the capitalization (or lack of).

Edited by ardneh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dfuentes1321@gmail.com said:

I went to use one of my paint.net plugins

Do some of the plugins work, if so which plugin/plugins specifically do not appear?

Here's a snapshot of the effects folder contents:

image.thumb.png.23fd62d7f2d10acad7b7cd9949c6c67b.png

When I check the properties of any of these files, nothing is blocked. But I'm not sure I'm checking where I need to check? Everywhere I can go within the properties options has no "unblocked" option. The closest I can find is various permissions in the securities tab, and those are all allowed.

I'm assuming that you are not considering this a solution, correct?  Or did I miss something? 

In any event, I still can't find my plugins. 

If anyone knows how to make it so I just have one version of Paint.net on my computer, fantastic! I tried to uninstall paint.net and start from scratch, but it isn't listed in my programs from the control panel.

So I did figure out how to uninstall and reinstall paint.net. Now, when I open the program with the shortcut, all of my plugins show up. But when I open by clikcing an image file, the plugins are nowhere to be found. Pain in the butt, but I really like 99% of the program. If anyone can help me fix this, great. Otherwise, I can live with it.

df

Sounds like you have two versions of paint.net installed, Store and Classic. I have a similar setup which I use - one version has a great many plugins and the other has a minimal number of "essential" plugins.

Try copying the contents of the Paint.net App Files/Effects folder to your C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects folder. That should ensure both are using the same set of plugins.

20 minutes ago, dfuentes1321@gmail.com said:

Turns out I cannot try that because I am being denied access to the folder I need to copy the effects to.

What is denying you access?  I usually get a prompt from Administrator when this happens, so I give permission.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.