PDN 4.2.15 colour & vibrancy issue

I have been using PDN, Lightroom and Topaz Denoise to edit my wildlife photos for a long time. I use three screens, with an app open in each of the three screens.

Something appears to have gone slightly amiss with the most recent PDN update from a colour and vibrance perspective, which is clearly noticeable when looking at the same image on all three pieces of software on all three screens simultaneously. I have taken a screen dump of all three images, and reduced the quality significantly to fit into this post, however, the difference is still very noticeable:

PDN:

1823928432_pdnscreencap.png.f95e7026f73531f69079d349c1fde4a0.png

Lightroom:

31748775_Lightroomscreencap.png.33ded3233e7647ec619e4134be5e192b.png

Topaz Denoise:

685075908_Denoisescreencap.png.5a23d9bcc69b55cc2bd958e5e6a37bef.png

The loss of colour and vibrance is quite obvious on the PDN screen. The same end result regardless of which monitor I look at!

Nothing has changed on my computer, everything works as normal. Quite simply, as soon as PDN was updates to 4.2.15, the above result occurred immediately. Note that the edited image doesn't change, it is merely the screen visual that changes. If I adjust the contrast or the brightness on the image in PDN, these changes are reflected on the images in all other apps, although it is impossible to know what needs to be changed or what has been changed if looking at the image in PDN.

Cheers,

Rob.

naturesig.png

My guess is that it may be a color management issue.

Paint.NET is not a color managed application, it ignores any color profile that the image contains.

I was not able to reproduce this issue with any of the images in your post.

It would be helpful if you could zip the original image and upload it.

• Like 2

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

I have been able to ascertain that this is occurring after processing the original image through Topaz Denoise.

I can also confirm that the file opens up correctly in Adobe Photoshop.

The original photo is 20mb in size, and the zipped compression ratio did not reduce it enough, thus I resized the image (attached), and fortunately the difference is still noticeable when opening up in PDN vs anything else.

Hopefully this helps...

_U5A4032-resized.jpg

naturesig.png

49 minutes ago, ventor1 said:

the difference is still noticeable when opening up in PDN vs anything else.

That image does contain a color profile (the ProPhoto RGB color space), which Paint.NET is ignoring.

Microsoft Paint also ignores the color profile.

• Like 3

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Unfortunately, Paint.NET just doesn't handle color profiles. So, if you want support for them, you must use a software that supports color profiles.

If you don't like Photo****, try CorelDRAW.  You can get that cheap and it works pretty well.

I am not familiar with other free software to point you toward one that supports color profiles.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, however, I think I'll do my image editing with PDN prior to processing with Topaz Denoise.

I have been using your plugins, null's plugins, DPY's plugins, and a heap of others for what seems like eternity, and I can make PDN sing!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and efforts!

Cheers,

Rob.

naturesig.png

3 hours ago, ventor1 said:

Is there a work around for this, or do I need to part ways with PDN for Photoshop, which is a horrible thought that will give me nightmares!

I would look at the settings in Topaz Denoise and see of you could change the color profile it uses to sRGB (or whatever your monitor is using).

3 hours ago, BoltBait said:

I am not familiar with other free software to point you toward one that supports color profiles.

GIMP and Krita both support color profiles.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png