Help: Real Transparent Mask Required (Color/Color* Gradient to Color/Transparent* Gradient)

Hi. Is there a way to achieve the below with Paint.Net? -- If No, then there should be!

I've been struggling with quality in Paint.Net as there doesn't seem to be a way to mask gradients with transparency, PRESERVING THE GRADIENTS.

I'm not as interested in converting them pixel by pixel. I should be able to:

• State a color. Below it's White.

• Select an area, or Flood, how ever the function would be implemented.

• Click something, and it goes from BEFORE to AFTER.

Other app, including games, do this.

Example:

I have a Warcraft 3 program that applies the proper button border over desired images.

The assets that come with it, primarily the regular button border has a few rows of transparent black so the image is darker towards the border.

The base color is, in this app's case, White. That White becomes Nothing and the border and dark outline is put on top of the image.

When the White becomes Transparent, the gray becomes Black Transparent. It just has the White drained out and you're left with the percentages of Black.

Like so:

Asset: 1611231275_Button_1Before.png.0a0e22b89173719d856ccbc607d91c12.png to 790106993_Button_2After(NoImage).png.f40cafcaf15b5767a17ff5387ca55ec6.png and 376005231_Button_3After.png.6dcc8f48be453f11fcb713cbbd6e869e.png

The extent of Paint.Net results in the border having to be removed entirely, or they remain as gray pixels instead of the above.

The choice of color to turn Transparent in Paint.Net could be the Secondary selected color.

Primitive example of starting image:

BEFORE

1471320313_Gradient_1Before.png.d08be08af5cfcd37d0e52cb1248ce18e.png

Example of the desired effect:

Desired AFTER

1465303232_Gradient_2DesiredAfterEffect.png.2c299742ef4c6a6e8527df40e80d664d.png

This is an essential function.

WHAT'S UP?

Take a look at the Color Clearer plugin.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/109122-color-clearer/

38 minutes ago, Luke Nukem said:

WHAT'S UP?

I heard there was a big sports game today in Tampa, FL.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, toe_head2001 said:

Thanks. -- This will come in handy.

It certainly does work for the examples I previously uploaded.

-- BTW: I get a message saying I can't upload more than 256kB at a time, and another message saying I can't upload more than a total of 72.93 kB. WTF

-- Fix this. - Those surely are backwards, and increase the total limit.

My only issue is, it makes everything else semi transparent.

Refer this:

310130382_ArbiterHead-ColorClearer(1)Before.png.b9917caad7060c221c452ad0b7c7e478.png1469489182_ArbiterHead-ColorClearer(2)aAfter.png.59197c527bcdfa88bddf6b551435e011.png I had to add a red layer below to show where it is semi transparent, everywhere.

Not the effect I wanted.

I'm back to my original dilemma of trying to make a flood selection which fails because of shading, and "similar" colors.

Here's the flood selection, which is horrible for trying to achieve what I want, including in use with Color Clearer.

1867248425_ArbiterHeadSelection-(1)0T.png.ab6b5d399383299a1ba04a024fa29651.png1983145597_ArbiterHeadSelection-(2)30T.png.214b902a4f1a13b53b5de2540c326f36.png 0% Tolerance | 30% Tolerance

In this particular case, in the full size image, 30% Tolerance selects less around the horns, and selects unwanted pixels all throughout the body.

Flood Selection is in no way a part of this solution.

I'd rather be hit by a meteor than service 20,000 pixels by pixel.

What else you got?

There needs to be a targeting tool with a circle shape, like the Paintbrush, which acts as a Masker, for dealing with edges etc.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, toe_head2001 said:

Is there any info about creating features and coding?

Is there a library to use in Visual Studio for, well, IDE purposes. -- As I don't know what's objectively available if I'm just coding in a normal text editor.

15 minutes ago, Luke Nukem said:

-- BTW: I get a message saying I can't upload more than 256kB at a time, and another message saying I can't upload more than a total of 72.93 kB. WTF

-- Fix this. - Those surely are backwards

This site uses Invision Community; feel free to send your bug report to them.

17 minutes ago, Luke Nukem said:

and increase the total limit.

You're in the 'Newbies' group, so your attachment quota is only 1 MB. If you post more, your quota will automatically increase to 10 MB.

It is preferred that you don't upload your images here, and instead use an external image host.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Do this

1983145597_ArbiterHeadSelection-(2)30T.p

With a large enough tolerance to not select any areas within the body. Then delete the selection.

Make a further selection on the edges that remain with the SHIFT key held down. Yes, this will select a few of the in-body pixels. Clean these up by swapping to the rectange select tool and hold down Alt while making a selection around the selected in-body areas (Alt key = selection Subtract mode). Delete this selection.

Run @BoltBait's Feather plugin or @dpy's AA Assistant. Either will clean up the edge nicely.

Hot Tip: view over a filled background layer to see the changes feathering makes. Here I used yellow for contrast

Selection-building.jpg

Not perfect, I did it quickly to demonstrate the way selections can be built/tuned.

REF: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/SelectionTools.html#15

and

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MagicWand.html  (there is a lot of info on selection building below the example)