Opening .PDN without Paint.NET (Mac, iOS, Linux, Android...)

Hi guys, my name is Ivan and I am the creator of a web-based photo editor www.Photopea.com .

I added the support for .PDN files today. You can view .PDN files on any device with a web browser, or convert them to .PSD, for free.

Do you think it could be useful to anyone? Can I ask you to try to open your .PDN files there (it literally should not take more than 3 seconds), and if any file does not open, could you send it to me to support@photopea.com ? :) thanks!

Edited by IvanK
  • Upvote 2

Hello @IvanK and welcome to the forum.  I am not sure whether this constitutes Spam, and will leave an Admin to decide, who may remove your link.

However, I managed to open a PDN in your photo editor, so I hope this answers your question.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

This looks okay to me. Could be very useful information for people unable or unwilling to install Paint.NET.

For those people searching, IrfanView can also open .PDN files.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Thanks! I think Photopea can open 99% of PDN files, so I need to find that 1% of files which could cause troubles (and fix the related bugs, to get to 100%).

It is not just a PDN viewer. You will get all the layers (in the layers panel), their names, opacities, blend modes, etc. And you can manipulate it as you would do in Paint.NET (while still in a browser).

Do you think I should add .PDN export? In that case, we would get a complete .PDN editor. The advantage could be, that the UI of Photopea is more similar to Photoshop than to Paint.NET, so you could edit .PDN in a "photoshop way".

Edited by IvanK

Just a note, at some point this discussion should be moved to a more Photopea specific location -- this is the Paint.NET forum after all :)

@IvanK, you messaged me in like 3 or 4 locations before I even woke up this morning ... looks like you got it working though, so I'll leave that. From now on please just post here on the forum with a question like that.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have quite a few PDN images I took with my Polaroid PDC3000 digital camera in the late 90's. The accompanying software is hopelessly obsolete, and I am unable to open these files. Several years ago when trying to find a solution, I changed the the suffix/file type from PDN to TIF, and I get a result exactly like your online tool. The image is there, but it is very tiny, and when enlarged, is disarmingly pixelated. Any suggestions on how I might open these files will be greatly appreciated. I am currently using MacOS; on a Mac Studio Ultra.

20 minutes ago, jjt49 said:

I have quite a few PDN images I took with my Polaroid PDC3000 digital camera in the late 90's. The accompanying software is hopelessly obsolete, and I am unable to open these files. Several years ago when trying to find a solution, I changed the the suffix/file type from PDN to TIF, and I get a result exactly like your online tool. The image is there, but it is very tiny, and when enlarged, is disarmingly pixelated. Any suggestions on how I might open these files will be greatly appreciated. I am currently using MacOS; on a Mac Studio Ultra.

This is a Paint.NET forum, which is software for Windows. We cannot help you with Mac stuff.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg