How to change color of items in PNG?

littlebigman

Hello,

On the following keyboard layout, I need to show some signs in red.

Is there a tool in Paint.net that can do this, eg. some kind of "eraser" that would actually change all black pixels using the foreground color selected in the palette?

Thank you.

image.png.46bdeb941fa3910fbbf21829b8e1a19e.png

As a work-around, I simply used the keyboard shortcuts for the Rectangle Select (S) and Paint Bucket (F) to apply this to each area, back and forth:

image.png.b8b2a78122ef5c324ff0be7373875367.png

Thanks. I don't understand how to use the Recolor feature.

After selecting an area with the Rectangle Select tool, I expected that left-clicking on any black pixel would redraw all the black pixels with the foreground color, but it only does it with the selected pixel.

The goal is to change the color of a whole letter in one go.

Edited by littlebigman

Little recoloring tutorial here: 

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

Thanks, this worked:

So, unlike what I expected, Paint.net itself — there might be a plug-in for that — can not simply change the color of all pixels in one go after 1) selecting primary/seconday colors and 2) selecting the part with the Select tool: Brushing is the only way to do this.

Thank you.

There are many plugins which can do what you wish. All have their uses and each behaves a little differently.

Without a plugin, the Recolor Tool :RecoloringTool: is usually the best bet when the Fill tool :PaintBucket: is not applicable (usually because there are many separate elements or shades to recolor).

You can also change an entire selection to the Primary color (hit Backspace after selecting), or the Secondary color (Shift + Backspace). This technique does not respect shading the way the Recolor Tool does.

14 hours ago, littlebigman said:

simply change the color of all pixels in one go after 1) selecting primary/seconday colors

11 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

There are many plugins which can do what you wish.

Two that I use most often are @Red ochre's Recolour Choice and @silverhammer's Advanced Recoloring, the latter with a simpler UI.

Xkds4Lh.png