How to Install Plugins ×

xBRZ Upscaling PNG FileType Plugin

Intrepidis

xBRZ PaintDotNet Plugin

This is a file type plugin. It's used to increase the resolution of an image while writing it out as PNG. The result can look especially nice for pixel art graphics.

The xBRZ upscaling routine is primarily designed to increase the resolution of pixel art. This file saving plugin lets you choose from 2 times to 5 times the resolution, to scale-up the output image. It uses a "scale by rules" approach, which means it tries to intelligently determine the edges of a character's face or their eyes, or diagonal lines, and increase the resolution while keeping the image sharp and smooth. Actually it was originally created for video game emulators, to make old game graphics have a remastered quality.

Here's the download:

http://bit.ly/xBRZ-PDN-Plugin20210131-2

Source code repository: (I think this is visible to everyone...)
https://dev.azure.com/intrepidis/xBRZ/_git/xBRZ.NET?path=%2FxBRZ PaintDotNet Plugin

The build pipeline: (maybe there's a newer version there)
https://dev.azure.com/intrepidis/xBRZ/_build?definitionId=1&_a=summary

BTW, I wanted to add the option to the Image menu, but it seems like there's no official way to do this, right? If you know then please comment below. Thanks.

WARNING!

It doesn't handle transparency very well, it just treats see-through parts as black.

Here are example before and after images, and then an example of the interface when saving.

Bloodborne 2D original.png

Bloodborne 2D xBRZ.jpg

xBRZ PaintDotNet Plugin interface.jpg

Edited by Intrepidis
Added a newer download version.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • You're a Smart Cookie! 1

• Intrepidis changed the title to xBRZ Upscaling PNG FileType Plugin
  • 4 months later...

So I'm not 100% certain if your plugin installed correctly.
I have a LOT of Plugins, unfortunately nowhere in your readme or your post does it say what options to open your plugin.
I'm currently not sure if it's under Adjustments or Effects, nor what sub-category or icon name it is.
There's nothing showing up under xBRZ anything in any of my menus nor is there anything that says upscaling.
Could you by chance tell me what I should be looking for?

Once again, my apologies, I have a lot of plugins. If this was the only one, it wouldn't really be an issue.

Edit: On a side note, I found out the file was being "blocked" by Windows, so I unblocked it. However I still can not find the options for it and it does not show up in Plugin Browser.

Edited by NoobFragged

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Veldaren said:

is the link still valid?

I just tried and it wouldn't download for me either.  Looks like my virus software is blocking it 🙄 Please disable your software for this download.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

I just tried and it wouldn't download for me either.

It may be that your virus software is not liking the shortened link in the first post.

I ran the shortened link through the ExpandURL website and the full link is:

https://artprodeus21.artifacts.visualstudio.com/A1100be5e-c3da-43ec-ae83-1b52e904e08b/c9666516-4eb2-4c3d-9124-7de242b59bae/_apis/artifact/cGlwZWxpbmVhcnRpZmFjdDovL2ludHJlcGlkaXMvcHJvamVjdElkL2M5NjY2NTE2LTRlYjItNGMzZC05MTI0LTdkZTI0MmI1OWJhZS9idWlsZElkLzExL2FydGlmYWN0TmFtZS94QlJaK1BhaW50RG90TmV0K1BsdWdpbg2/content?format=zip

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

13 hours ago, null54 said:

It may be that your virus software is not liking the shortened link in the first post.

I only have Windows Defender, but I still had to tell it to 'allow' the download 🤔

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 4 months later...