paint.net 4.2.15 alpha build 7683

Rick Brewster

This is a small update that improves some quality-of-life issues, and fixes some important crashes due to mishandling of some non-fatal DirectX errors.

To get this update, make sure you have "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions" enabled in Settings, and then click on the Check Now button. (Unfortunately alpha/beta releases are not currently available for the Microsoft Store version of the app). 

image.png

You can also download and install this build directly: https://www.getpaint.net/files/zip/test/paint.net.4.215.7683.6519.install.zip

Changes since 4.2.14:

• New: "Tolerance Alpha Mode" toggle button added to the toolbar for the Magic Wand, Paint Bucket, and Recolor tools. This permits switching the algorithm for color comparison between premultiplied (default) and straight. "Straight" will distinguish between transparent pixels with different color values, whereas premultiplied will see them as equivalent.
  • New: Holding Ctrl while using the Color Picker tool will sample from the merged image (vs. just the current layer)
  • New: The file name in the title bar will now have a prepended asterisk when it has unsaved changes
  • Changed: The image close 'X' button can now be clicked for images that are not currently active
  • Fixed: The Rectangle Select tool, when used to draw a constrained, fixed ratio, or fixed size selection, will now correctly clamp the rectangle to be within the canvas
  • Fixed: Layers -> Move Layer Up/Down/Top/Bottom was not working for images with fewer than 3 layers
  • Fixed: Edit -> Erase Selection will now fill with transparent black (#00000000) instead of transparent white (#00FFFFFF)
  • Fixed: Custom Shapes will now be displayed in a consistently sorted order
  • Fixed: ".pdnSave" ghost files should no longer linger when saving to the desktop. This was due to a bug in Windows and File Explorer.
  • Fixed crashes due to DXGI/Direct3D "lost device" or "device removed" errors that can happen for various reasons (dock/undock, driver update, low memory, etc.)
  • New: Plugins can now use the IArrayPoolService, a wrapper around .NET's ArrayPool, to optimize their array allocations
  • Updated bundled AVIF FileType plugin to v1.1.6. See the pdn-avif releases page on GitHub (https://github.com/0xC0000054/pdn-avif/releases) for more information.

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

1 hour ago, Rick Brewster said:

Fixed: The Rectangle Select tool, when used to draw a constrained, fixed ratio, or fixed size selection, will now correctly clamp the rectangle to be within the canvas

VdXszG5.jpg

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

The description of "Tolerance Alpha Mode" is so long that I think users may not have enough patience and time to read (the tip is displayed for only a few seconds). How about moving the descriptions of Premultiplied and Straight to the tips of specific options.

11 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:
  • Fixed: Custom Shapes will now be displayed in a consistently sorted order
  • Fixed: ".pdnSave" ghost files should no longer linger when saving to the desktop. This was due to a bug in Windows and File Explorer.

My favs. Thank you, Rick!  👍

12 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

New: Holding Ctrl while using the Color Picker tool will sample from the merged image (vs. just the current layer)

Nice! 

12 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Fixed: Edit -> Erase Selection will now fill with transparent black (#00000000) instead of transparent white (#00FFFFFF)

I'm interested in understanding why this is valuable/important.

20 minutes ago, ardneh said:

I'm interested in understanding why this is valuable/important.

There's an example in this forum topic: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/117273-white-stripes-on-the-cut-edges-of-the-cut-out-areas-in-the-image/

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

The removal of the EnableAutoGlass property has caused several plugins by @Ed Harvey to stop working.

Spoiler

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\EdHarvey.Effects.dll
      Name: EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.WhiteBalanceEffect
      Version: 4.0.5120.42730
      Author: Ed Harvey
      Copyright: Copyright ©  2006-2013, Ed Harvey
      Website: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18811-ed-harvey-effects-v-35
      Full error message: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Boolean PaintDotNet.PdnBaseForm.get_EnableAutoGlass()'.
   at EdHarvey.Edfects.EdEffectConfigDialog3.OnLayout(LayoutEventArgs levent)
   at EdHarvey.Edfects.HueSatConfigDialogBase2.OnLayout(LayoutEventArgs levent) in C:\PDN4-20140107\src\Ed-fects\UI\HueSatConfigDialogBase2.cs:line 283
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PerformLayout(LayoutEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PerformLayout()
   at EdHarvey.Edfects.HueSatConfigDialogBase2.InitializeComponent() in C:\PDN4-20140107\src\Ed-fects\UI\HueSatConfigDialogBase2.Designer.cs:line 252
   at EdHarvey.Edfects.HueSatConfigDialogBase2..ctor() in C:\PDN4-20140107\src\Ed-fects\UI\HueSatConfigDialogBase2.cs:line 20
   at EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.WhiteBalanceEffect.CreateConfigDialog() in C:\PDN4-20140107\src\Ed-fects\Color\WB\WhiteBalanceEffect.cs:line 35
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 858

bp-sig.png