Where are Paint.NET's thumbnails saved?

I accidentally lost my files and I've seen that I have the thumbnails in File > Open Recent. I want to found these thumbnails and get the files back. 
I use the Microsoft Store version of Paint.NET.

Searched directories:

• paint.net App Files
  • paint.net User Files
  • AppData/Local/paint.net
  • the directory where Paint.NET was installed
Edited by Viraxor

• Viraxor changed the title to Where are Paint.NET's thumbnails saved?

Welcome @Viraxor to Paint.net :)

1.  How exactly did you lose your files?  If you have deleted them, then please look in your Recycle Bin.

2.  Did you save the images on another host site?

3.  The fact that Open > Recent still shows the thumbnails in Paint.net, doesn't mean they are still there.

4.  Can you remember what you named them?  If so, use the Search on your computer.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

49 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Welcome @Viraxor to Paint.net :)

1.  How exactly did you lose your files?  If you have deleted them, then please look in your Recycle Bin.

2.  Did you save the images on another host site?

3.  The fact that Open > Recent still shows the thumbnails in Paint.net, doesn't mean they are still there.

4.  Can you remember what you named them?  If so, use the Search on your computer.

1. I didn't delete them; checked my Recycle Bin multiple times.

2. I didn't save them on other host sites.

3. Well, I am looking for the thumbnails, I know that the files aren't there.

4. Searched multiple times, nothing came up.

Thumbnails are found in the registry. They are in the Base64 format.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\paint.net

There's no way you're going to get your full-size image back from a thumbnail though.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Hope you can retrieve even just the thumbnails. Then perhaps when you remake the new version of the original files it will go a bit faster and a little easer. 

p.s. You are not the first person this has happened to, don't ask me how I know. Good luck and Welcome to Paint.net

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

On 1/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, toe_head2001 said:

Thumbnails are found in the registry. They are in the Base64 format.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\paint.net

There's no way you're going to get your full-size image back from a thumbnail though.

You can write a simple C# / LinqPad script to decode the thumbnail. base64 -> byte[], then wrap in a MemoryStream, then use Image.FromStream(). (it's just a PNG)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello, not quite tech-savy, and have never dealt with a computers registry before, but I managed to open the Regedit and found the thumbnail of the image that is now gone. How could I get the best possible image of the list file? Would taking a screenshot of it in-app be the same? I don't know in the slightest what I should do going forward, sorry but if anyone could elaborate more on how to decode the file or registry entry to get closer to restoring my image I would be very grateful.

Thanks!