Paint.NET Discord server?

HCGS

Is there one, and if there isn't, could there be an official PDN Discord server? What are your thoughts on this? It's a relatively small community, I don't think it would be hard to manage one (or finding mods). It would make sharing stuff, asking for help, and just talking about this tool in general much, much easier. And faster.

Sometimes I feel like we're stuck in 2007. I get a strange feeling every time I open this forum and see stuff from decades ago pinned...

There's an unofficial one that @LoudSilence is running.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/117015-i-made-a-paintnet-unofficial-discord-server/

6 hours ago, HCGS said:

Sometimes I feel like we're stuck in 2007. I get a strange feeling every time I open this forum and see stuff from decades ago pinned...

That pinned stuff is still relevant, but I think I know what you mean.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

5 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

There's an unofficial one that @LoudSilence
is running.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/117015-i-made-a-paintnet-unofficial-discord-server/

That pinned stuff is still relevant, but I think I know what you mean.

Judging by the responses to that thread, it seem like this wasn't a very welcome idea. Oh well.

4 minutes ago, HCGS said:

Judging by the responses to that thread, it seem like this wasn't a very welcome idea. Oh well.

That's not surprising if you consider the audience.

The people here on the forum probably prefer to use forums and not chats.

And people that prefer to use chats aren't here on the forum; otherwise there would probably be people saying that using Discord is a good idea.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

18 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

That's not surprising if you consider the audience.

The people here on the forum probably prefer to use forums and not chats.

And people that prefer to use chats aren't here on the forum; otherwise there would probably be people saying that using Discord is a good idea.

Yeah, it makes sense. It is a shame, though. Most people nowadays don't have the patience to use a forum. And I'm sure a large part (possibly most?) of the userbase has never even visited this place.

You know, I think a lot about the sate of this software and of the community. I wonder how many active PDN users are there. A few million? A couple thousand at most? It's a great tool (even if it has some big issues), but I feel like it has fallen down to the state of becoming too niche. I still remember the "golden age" of PDN, back when a lot of people genuinely thought it would eventually replace the original MS Paint. I was one of these people.

I know it's not the case, but whenever I use PDN (which is almost on a daily basis, professionally at that!) I always feel like I'm the only one out there still using it. Like a stubborn old man who refuses to learn something new. I rarely see a PDN user "in the wild", and whenever people ask me what I use for editing they get baffled when I tell them it's a 2005 tool named "paint.net". Well, it's really good, I just wish more people knew about it!

25 minutes ago, HCGS said:

I feel like it has fallen down to the state of becoming too niche.

The niche is an easy-to-use image editor, and I don't think that's going to change.

Sure, a lot of people move onto more capable image editors (Photoshop, Krita, ect.) when they've mastered what Paint.NET has to offer, but there's nothing wrong with that. People should use the software that fits their needs.

For a beginner or a layperson, Paint.NET is the ideal software. (not to say Paint.NET can't be used by professionals too)

17 minutes ago, HCGS said:

That sub is nearly abandoned. I'd even say this forum is more active...

It was nearly abandoned.  It's actually seeing a bit of growth right now. In the past year or so, the number of members has more than doubled. There's still less than 1,000 though.

But yeah, without a doubt, this forum is waaaay more active than the subreddit.

bp-sig.png