[Feature Request] full path name & Save a copy AS

I'd like to make two feature requests that are slightly related. Strictly speaking, they are probably a nice to have but these would be useful to my workflow.

Working on a .pdn file as an original I use various derivatives in creating intermediary files and final output files. Such intermediaries/derivatives are for example a smaller resolution of the original file and a final output file in .png or .jpg format used for “release”. Saving a file in a different file format changes the current file name being edited; unsurprisingly of course, but discarding the changed file under edit and returning to the original .pdn file takes a little extra work (as a side effect the changed filename is added to the recently used list). I usually use separate directories for this. I also use separate directories as a differentiator for files with the same file name and as a result I cannot see from the name displayed after the paint.net icon which file I am editing.

Therefore I’d like to request:

1. (possibly optional setting) which displays the filename prepended by its complete pathname. It would then be appropriate that full names be displayed in the recently used list as well.
  2. Add  “Save a copy As” as a command option to the File menu to save under a different name or format; after execution returning to the original (.pdn) file.

Eric

Update 27/12: Based on the first two responses below and my rethinking, I'd like to amend my requests and extend No. 2 with 2.b. My two requests are now as follows:

1. (possibly optional setting) which displays the filename prepended by its complete pathname*. It would then be appropriate that full names be displayed in the recently used list as well.
  2.   a. Add  “Save a copy As” as a command option to the File menu to save under a different name or format; after execution returning to the original (.pdn) file.
      b. Do not add the file name used in the "Save a copy As" command to the recently used list.

___

* I didn't see this at first but I've come to the realisation that this will probably require some "real estate restructuring" at the top with respect to the area for the filename.

Edited by EricRS
update requests

Hello Eric & welcome to the forum :)

6 hours ago, EricRS said:

Such intermediaries/derivatives are for example a smaller resolution of the original file and a final output file in .png or .jpg format used for “release”. Saving a file in a different file format changes the current file name being edited;

Try this...

1. Ctrl + Shift + C (copy Merged)
  2. Ctrl + Shift + V (Paste into new image)
  3. Ctrl + S (Save = Save As... because this new file will have no existant source file).
  4. Close new file or return to your original PDN file to continue editing.

Howzat? :)

Thanks for the quick response; and the amended one!

Let me try to compare; as suggested we have:

1. Ctrl + Shift + C (copy Merged)
  2. Ctrl + Shift + V (Paste into new image)
  3. Ctrl + S (Save = Save As... because this new file will have no existant source file).
  4. Close new file or return to your original PDN file to continue editing.

My sequence (file under edit already saved as t1.pdn-and thereby t1.pdn file name added to the recently used list):

1. Ctrl + Shift + S (Save As...)  (e.g. as t1.png)
  2. Ctrl + W (Close)  [Note: no confirmation needed because "just saved")
  3. Alt + F (open file menu)
  4. 3 * arrow down (higlighting Open Recent)
  5. arrow right (highlighting top entry in recently used list; i.e. t1.png)
  6. arrow down (higlighting the desired entry; i.e. t1.pdn)
  7. ENTER/RETURN ( again opening t1.pdn)

4 thru 7 can of course also be established by mouse actions; as can all the mentioned actions.

My request:

1. [selected schort cut key sequence] (Save Copy As...)*

So, in conclusion: your suggestions are (definitely) an improvement!

These observations also lead me to amend my request with specifics about when file names are added to the recently used list. I stil like my (amended) request to be considered. This is also related to my newly entered topic about the implementation behaviour of the recently used list; see my inquiry here.

___
* probably preferably not entered in the recently used list

Edited by EricRS
forgot the asterisk

Don't forget you can (as of 4.2.11) right click on the image thumbnail to get access to some path stuff. This is also accessible with Alt+Minus (but not the minus on the numpad!). If you use Alt+Minus then you'll also be able to use the accelerator keys (shown via underlines) for each menu item.

image.png

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Also, Windows has built-in folder pinning for the Open/Save dialogs via the "Quick access" group in the left pane. This makes it easy to have a handful of folders that are ... well, quick to access.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks for these tips Rick; and thanks for developing paint.net. I was already aware of the windows quick access option. My right-click explorations had not reached the Copy Path and other options, so that is new and very welcome. Purely for the awareness of the path for the file under edit, I think I prefer the Ctrl  + Shift + S shortcut and then subsequently abandoning it.