Remove noises in an old scanned picture?

Hi everyone,

My grandfather passed away a few months ago and when re-arranging his belongings, we found an old picture of him taken with grandmother from like 75 years ago.

At that time in our country the camera only produced black and white photos. The colors you see were added onto the photo by direct painting. And since it was printed in a type of harsh paper, when being scanned there were a lot of noises.

I brought the original picture (as big as a postage stamp) to the photographers here, hoping they could help make it in big size for us to hang on the wall. However, I was advised that it is difficult to clear such noises, especially those on the faces without making the faces of our grandfather & grandmother look unnatural.

May I seek your advice here if such an issue can be fixed? (If possible I’d appreciate if you could make it in details as possible as I am not into this field)

Below is the link to the picture

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fMK-hwVqND8SvjysXmRIJnUn04pJXaio/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the help.

Edited by icytuvi

Hello @icytuvi and Welcome to the forum :)

It looks like the photo was 'embedded' onto a canvas background, which makes removing the canvas very difficult.

I played with it and came up with this, which is not perfect, but see what you think.

I used the Blur-blend Plugin at default found here.

And here is how to add Plugins to paint.net.

OAbeEDX.png

< click for larger >

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

9 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hello @icytuvi and Welcome to the forum :)

It looks like the photo was 'embedded' onto a canvas background, which makes removing the canvas very difficult.

I played with it and came up with this, which is not perfect, but see what you think.

I used the Blur-blend Plugin at default found here.

And here is how to add Plugins to paint.net.

OAbeEDX.png

< click for larger >

Hi Pixey,

I really appreciate that you have spent time for this and the result really does me a big favor. I guess I just can print it out, get it a nice frame and a nice place on my family wall. Thank you very much! I'll learn about using the plugin so that I myself can deal with the same the next time too^^

9 hours ago, Pixey said:

• Hugs 1