Changing colors on old photo slides.

Pat B

I've just used a Veho scanner (a basic one, as I was given it) to upload several 100 ancient (35+ years old) slides to my PC but most of them have a strong blue tinge, which I've read is caused by the emulsion on the slide degrading over time. Will Paint.net allow me to pick a single colour I know (e.g. a blue which I know should be white) and automatically change the colour temperature of the rest of the picture to match? I just don't have time to change every colour on every slide independently but they are the almost the only pictures I have of my parents, my in-laws and my children as babies!

• Pixey changed the title to Changing colors on old photo slides.
1 hour ago, Pat B said:

I just don't have time to change every colour on every slide independently

Hello @Pat B and welcome to the forum :)

Even if you managed to change the colors on a single slide, there is no way you can do this for the other images at the same time.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@Pat B, I would recommend you ColorBalance+ and Color Mixer.

Do you know how to install plugins? Download zip. Copy the .dll file you find inside (dpyColorBalance.dll and ColorMixer.dll) and put it into your Effects folder (Program Files > paint.net > Effects). Restart Paint.net and they will show up in Adjustments menu.

As for too many images. You can open one and reduce blue - then open 10 or 20 more and apply the same effect - one by one, closing them after that. Open next 10-20 and repeat. Just do not close Paint.net until you finish so the effects will not reset.

When you find the right proportion of colors, you'll need about 15 minutes. :) With BW photos it would be even simpler but I suppose yours are not BW.

Edited by Vagabondi
  • Like 1

signature.png.ebe2dec8b8faab2aa57630b352

my gallery is  here

@Pat B I just found this Plugin that helps save various adjustments when you are working on a series of images:

Combined Photo Adjustments - With source code (Jan 19, 2010) - Plugins - Publishing ONLY! - paint.net Forum (getpaint.net)

• Thanks 1
  • You're a Smart Cookie! 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.