How do I resize an image using anything other than nearest neighbor but not lose the opacity?

Sukotto82

How do I resize an image using anything other than nearest neighbor but not lose the opacity?

when resizing an image texture overlay in my case. you choose to resize nearest neighbor that keeps opacity but drastically reduces coverage while pretty much every other option be it fant, bilinear, bicubic, best quality, or super sampling, they keep decent coverage but reduces the opacity and makes the texture transparent.

I want to resize my texture keeping the opacity of nearest neighbor but maintaining the  coverage of pretty much every other option.

Hello @Sukotto82 and welcome to the forum :)

Can't you just flatten your layer and then resize?  I'm assuming you have one layer set to overlay

13 hours ago, Sukotto82 said:

an image texture overlay in my case

But, I may well have not really understood your question though 😊

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I think what we need here are some visual examples of what you're working with, what the results are, and what they're supposed to be. You talk about "coverage" but it's not clear what you mean by that.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 9:16 AM, Pixey said:

Hello @Sukotto82 and welcome to the forum :)

Can't you just flatten your layer and then resize?  I'm assuming you have one layer set to overlay

But, I may well have not really understood your question though 😊

sorry this is way late.

it was a berry bush overlay to show ripe berries flowers or nothing depending on the growth stages of the bush.

it was a 16x16 image for vintage story and I lost a lot of berries when I tried resizing it.

the image was flat only 1 layer but was meant to be used as an over lay in the game the berries and flowers were separate textures but were flat.

I didn't want them to be transparent because I didn't want to see the bushes under the berries or flowers.

when resizing it to fit the 16x16 image for vintage story the 64x64 image would lose a lot of the berries and look a lot more barren. same with flowers.

the solution I did was simply used the resize option that made it transparent then copied the layer multiple times and merged them down on top of each other until it was solid again.

each time you duplicate the image and merge it together it would get less transparent. this is what I did to solve my issue at the time.

working on skin textures for Kenshi now and use the same thing to get a solid image then once I change textures and skin the way I want I make the image transparent to between 18-28 for diffuse.

the only problem with this method is if your using a transparent image that has different levels of transparency as doing this will make it all the same level of transparency.

before saving it you need to merge it with an empty layer to update it properly otherwise it doesn't seem to transfer well.

Edited by Sukotto82
spell correct change word completely and clarified a little more.

You might try BoltBait's Transparency adjustment after resizing. Set the Transparency slider all the to the maximum value of 100, but leave Ignore opaque pixels checked. All the partially transparent pixels will be made fully opaque. It's in the Adjustment menu, not the Effects.

For more control (along with greater complexity) you can try Red ochre's Alpha threshold, which is in the the Transparency submenu. Setting the lo slider control one less than the hi control will select the cutoff point for making a pixel opaque.