Sending set of colors to palette? [SOLVED]

Reptillian

4 hours ago, Reptillian said:

So, my option left is to export some how.

I'd assume the somehow would be to save as a Palette file, which are simple .txt files in the Palettes folder.

; paint.net Palette File
; Lines that start with a semicolon are comments
; Colors are written as 8-digit hexadecimal numbers: aarrggbb
; For example, this would specify green: FF00FF00
; The alpha ('aa') value specifies how transparent a color is. FF is fully opaque, 00 is fully transparent.
; A palette must consist of ninety six (96) colors. If there are less than this, the remaining color
; slots will be set to white (FFFFFFFF). If there are more, then the remaining colors will be ignored.

So, it would seem that my option is to write a script that converts my palettes into a set of vector, then convert them to palette file via c++ for all palettes that have 96 colors or less. And this hypothetical plugin would only be useful for all palettes with more than 96 colors.

EDIT: It seems that I have 13 palettes with 97+ colors. Not sure if that sounds useful.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

2 hours ago, Reptillian said:

So, it would seem that my option is to write a script that converts my palettes into a set of vector, then convert them to palette file via c++ for all palettes that have 96 colors or less. And this hypothetical plugin would only be useful for all palettes with more than 96 colors.

I don't know what format your palettes are in, but I would suppose they're files in which the colors are stored, likely as three (RGB) or four (ARGB) color components per entry. If so,  I don't see the reason for the steps mentioned. A singe C# (or C++, if you must) program could input one of your palette files and output a PDN palette file. You don't actually need to limit it to palettes of 96 colors or less, since PDN simply ignores the excess entries.

@Reptillian It is feasable to display all the palettes as an image and allow the user to select a block of 96 to export as a PDN palette?

224 x 96 = 21504 shades. If each shade were 5x5 pixels the image would be around 735px square. A palette block would be 30 x 80 pixels. Roughly half the size of the full palette in the Colors Window.

5 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

@Reptillian It is feasable to display all the palettes as an image and allow the user to select a block of 96 to export as a PDN palette?

224 x 96 = 21504 shades. If each shade were 5x5 pixels the image would be around 735px square. A palette block would be 30 x 80 pixels. Roughly half the size of the full palette in the Colors Window.

@MJW I had converted the palettes into non-standard syntax i.e not seen in any existing palette file format in use for gmic filters, and there are over 220 palettes. Hence why I had decided to resort to using C++, and I found that it works. It took some work, but did it anyway.

Technically, that should be feasible. However, I don't think it's worth it because my palette collection has only 13 palettes that contains over 96 colors. I think I'm better off just creating a collection of 96- colors PDN.txt palettes through C++.

EDIT: I just had uploaded a collection of 211 palettes. Consider this thread solved.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

• Reptillian changed the title to Sending set of colors to palette? [SOLVED]