Help, please: Objects in Paint.NET

(Please ignore the Communist nature of the graphics in this message. It’s for a joke. :) )

Here’s my first layer, my background:

backgr10.jpg

Then, I execute “Layers / Import From File…” to add a smaller picture to this background. Paint.NET creates layer 2 and puts a selection box around the little picture.

backgr11.jpg

Then, I execute “Layers / Import From File…” again to add a smaller picture to this background. (Yes, I know that I could have used the “Duplicate Layer” command.) Paint.NET creates layer 3 and puts a selection box around the little picture.

backgr12.jpg

My question:

How can I get to this situation? I want the selection box to appear only around the little picture that I placed on layer 2. Yes, I know that I can use the “Rectangular Select” tool, for example, but that’s not what I want. I want—go to layer 2, simply click on the little picture because it’s an object on layer 2, and a selection box will appear around the little picture automatically.

i_want10.jpg

Does Paint.NET understand “objects” on a layer?

Use the Magic Wand tool ( :MagicWandTool: ) to select the transparent area in the layer around it, then invert the selection. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

To answer your original question...

Does Paint.NET understand “objects” on a layer?

No, it does not understand "objects".

Paint.NET understands bitmap graphics. That is why when you type text, once you finalize it, the text becomes a graphic and must be dealt with in that way. It is the same with all other objects.

Thanks to Simon Brown, david.atwell, and BoltBait for furthering my indoctrination with Paint.NET.

BoltBait's signature includes "Warning: The above post contains sarcasm. Use as directed." Well, I didn't see any, but I'll be very careful how I word my questions in the future. :)