Spoiler

I have had the 1603 problem periodically, The last update went smoothly, but this latest to 4.2.14 just quietly fails with no message, just error code 1603. I read many prior posts here on the subject, so it's a common problem, and I tried the Microsoft tool that is frequently mentioned to no avail. Paint.net is the only software I update that routinely fails during install. I am hoping that there is a way get past this error. Thanks for any insight. I am running WIndows 10 Home 64-bit.  It would be really nice to have a zip file available in addition to the install version. That would be especially helpful for doing updates.

Edited by dskirk
Added reference to desire for zip option.

1603 is known to be caused by an existing, broken installation. You used the right tool to attempt to remove it

Download this program and use it to remove the broken Paint.NET install.  Then, try to download Paint.NET again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

A couple of forum members have used Revo Uninstaller and Oibit Uninstaller for the same purpose. If the MS tool didn't do the job I'd try these.