How to Install Plugins ×

Mise En Abyme

MJW

Mise En Abyme creates a recursive picture-within-a-picture, like on the Quaker Oats box, often also referred to as the Droste effect.

The plugin DLL (versions 1.1.0, 24 Oct 2020):  Mise En Abyme_1.1.0.zip

The region in which the canvas image is copied is determined by the selection.

The plugin is in the Selection (not the Distort) menu for two reasons. First it requires a selection; second, the Distort menu is getting quite crowded -- at least mine is.

The Help Menu:

Mise En Abyme recursively copies the canvas image into a selection to achieve a picture-in-a-picture effect referred to as mise en abyme or the Droste effect.

The controls are:
Tiling: Specifies how pixels outside the canvas boundaries are treated. Pixels outside the image range of the canvas can be transparent, Clamped, Tiled, Alternately Tiled, or Brick Tiled.

Size: Increases or decreases the size of the canvas image copied into the selection. The canvas image is initially scaled by the ratio of the length of the selection's bounding-box diagonal to the length of the canvas diagonal. The size adjustment is relative to this initial size.

XY Proportion: Changes the XY proportion of the canvas image. Moving the control right increases the X size while decreasing the Y size. Moving the control left decreases the X size while increasing the Y size.
Offset: Moves the center of the canvas image relative to the center of the selection's bounding box.
Tilt / Rotation: Tilts and rotates the canvas image to match the visual orientation of the selection.

Perspective: Adjusts the perspective of a canvas image when the image is tilted. Increasing this value causes the image to converge more quickly to the vanishing point.

Fade Per Level: Specifies how much the image fades for each recursive level.

Fade Color: Specifies the color that is increasingly blended with the image as the number of levels increase. When Selection Pixel Color is chosen, the Fade Color depends on the initial color of the pixels in the selection.

Maximum Levels: Specifies the maximum number of recursive levels. If the number of levels exceeds this number, the average color of the canvas is used.

Antialias: Specifies that antialiasing should be used.
Antialias Quality: Specifies the number of samples in each direction per pixel.

The UI:

Mise-En-Abyme-UI.png

An example:

Mise-En-Abyme-Example.png

(The quadrilateral selection inside the frame was done with the Lasso Tool using a method suggested by @BoltBait.

I used the Clamp tiling mode to extend the sides of the image mapped into the frame.)

EDIT: 24 Oct 2020, Ver. 1.1.10 -- Increase Offset precision to 4 decimal places.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

I made a small change. I increased the Offset precision to 4 decimal places. It was 3. I wasn't sure 3 would be enough in some situations. The version is now 1.1.0.

(My version number system is basically that the first number changes for a large revision, with a major change in functionality.  The second number changes for more modest changes in functionality, or if the user interface changes. The third number changes for bug fixes and for minor revisions of the Help menu.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Very nice :star:  I particularly like Fade Per Level. That combined with the Tilt/Rotation produces some interesting results.

Many thanks @MJW

• 2 weeks later...