Goonfella`s Gallery - New Frontiers 28.02.16

Goonfella

Again, Goon, your work is always so realistic. It makes me feel as if I've actually seen the sun this close. Well, I don't think I'd ever want to see the sun this close without any eye protection, but you know what I mean. ;)

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Great for getting a tan though eh Helen? ;)

Goonfella! My God, What beautiful Gallery. My favorites are Spice images. Thank you. wt7suwk6.gif

You had me looking for the spice images in my gallery which I could not remember doing - until I realized you meant space images! :lol:

Thanks for taking a look.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

That is amazing - what a great rendition of the sun.  Just curious about the black spot ...... I guess it's another planet, but wondering if it should be slightly blurred?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks skullbonz. I might have a play around with the file , see if I can make some decent solar flares. The image is called Transit because the black spot in front of the sun is Mercury (or it could be Venus if you prefer.) When either one passes in front of the sun like this it is referred as a transit.

Here`s some more info if your`re interested -   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_transit

Thanks Pixey, of course you are right about it being a planet. From on Earth it could only be either of the planets mentioned. Maybe it could do with a small amount of blurring, but it depends if it is Mercury or Venus really. Mercury has no atmosphere whereas as Venus does. So on that basis I think I will refer to the planet as Mercury.

Thanks Daniels, realistic space scenes have always been my faves.

Welshy you are more likely to a man in a white coat! :lol:

I`m sure any spacescape of yours will be excellent, I look forward to seeing it.

I must admit it is nice to be posting again, although I`m busy busy at work at the moment with the start of the new season and all that so I  try to fit PDN in where I can but it means there won`t be too many pics for now.

Aahh Goonfella I thought that might have been what it was. I assume you are using a duplicate layer of the sun and on the bottom one you are using zoom blur for the rays,if so try dents or wobble or both on it. Turn the settings down and increase slowly until it looks good to you,dents is a great tool for this.   ;)

• Upvote 1

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Things I would add:

-Solar Flares. Basically "fire arcs" coming from the sun. I'm sure you know what I mean, but if not: http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/162169main_Trace_solar_flare_lg.jpg

- Busier background. Different coloured stars and maybe a comet or something.

Things I love:

-I LOVE the idea of it :D

-Mercury seems a very realistic size as if viewed from Earth.

-The texture of the sun.

I'm pretty sure I saw a tutorial that looked like that sun but I can't remember from where.

Good job Goon, looks great!

• Upvote 1

Ain't that the truth ... although there's something to be said for rubber walls and jackets that keep your posture straight  :P

Can`t think of an answer to that!   :D

Spot on skullbonz, thats just what I did. Interesting suggestion about dents and wobble. Thanks for the tip. ;)

Dryda I do know what you mean about  the solar flares it is a nice idea. Need some practice with the smudge tool though. As to the busier background ,the brightness of the sun drowns out any background stars so adding them would not really be realistic. If I was showing the sun from a distance then yes but not in a close up like this. I have looked at reference photos on Google Images and none of them show stars, just blackness. 

Glad you like the texture. It was one of those stumble upon moments where you are just doodling and bingo! Up pops a nice looking texture . I used the colour picker on a photo to try to get the colours right.

You got me interested so I did a search on the forum for the tut you were talking about. Is this the one? - http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/17644-sun-tutorial/

You are right about the similarity to mine. It might come in handy so I have bookmarked it for the future.

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. Much appreciated. ;)

Good grief this is from 6 years ago! Have I really been here all that time? As to your question, if the link would have taken you to a different forum back then I would have mentioned it.

Back then the PDN Forum was very different, and that link did take you to a tutorial on the forum. But it has been upgraded a lot since then and a lot of tutorials have been removed along the way. When I click on this link now  I do get taken to a forumer forum but get told that the `the requested topic does not exist' so that was probably one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS ... Kieran Gibbs has been found guilty in the Oscar Pistorious trial ...  :P

And he has been given a SIX years, SIX month, SIX day  sentence! :lol:

At least I got some decent points in my Fantasy Footy. Maybe Wenger should stick to that.

Thanks for popping in johnnysdream. Glad you like my stuff. ;)

Edited by Goonfella
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow x 10 ;) .  Simply amazing rendition .......... not surprising as I still recall (jaw droppingly) the camera you once did too.  Very good outcome and so like an Ad for a magazine.  Fantastic @Gooney :pizza: .

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks Pixey, Yellowman, Helen.

Wasn`t sure about the ad theme myself but it seems to have come out OK. ;)

The perspective on the rainbow did take a few goes. In the PS tut it is far more pronounced but after looking through lots of images on Google I never saw one image ( from the front like mine) where the rainbow was like this. So I reduced the amount of perspective which made it easier and , as far as I could see, more like the real thing.

Helen it never ceases to amaze me how camera technology has changed. I remember when we had to take our film to the shop to be developed and it took a few days to get our photos. Also you could take a bad one but would not know until the photo was developed. Now you can just delete it and try again, and all the photos are there for you to see when you get home. Just plug in the SD card to your PC and download. Awesome. :)

Thanks Welshy for commenting. Sorry I missed it first time.

Thanks Drew. Glad you liked it. ;)

Latest image is called My Address Book. Another adapted PS tut with a few changes of my own. Leather texture I used was made in PDN as well. :)

If anyone is interested this is the tutorial.

Edited by Goonfella

I just want to run my index finger through all the tabs and listen to how it makes the flipping sound. I always get these childish ideas. I can't help it. ;)

Stunning piece, Goon. It's perfect. I like the touch of your initials on there, too. 

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Thanks very much Helen. The tabs were one of the trickiest parts because of the shadows,colours, gradients and letters which all had to look right. In PS it would have just been a case of adding Layer Styles but with PDN you don't get that advantage.