When saving a .dds file in the same format as original the output file size has changed.

I have a dds file that is skin in a simulation I play. The format is BC1 (Linear, DXT1) The file size is 1.00Mb

I routinely edit this file to display trophies in game.

In this case it is the conning tower of a submarine.

I am a novice at this but it used to work before. I just made sure when I was done editing the file I did not click save as,, I just clicked SAVE to let paint.net save it as the original input format.

It would I would copy the file back into the game folder and see the new markings.

Now it isn't doing that.. its changing the file size.

If I open the file in Paint.net and change nothing, just tell Paint.net to save the file in the same format , the file it produces is not the same size. It says it is saving it as the same BC1 (Linear, DXT1) except the file it produces is smaller (682.8 Kb)

That file will no longer show up correctly as a skin in the program I was using it in ..

I know I'm missing something here, any help would be greatly appreciated

cc @null54

Which game is it?

Maybe the game is 1) using a format that DDSFileTypePlus doesn't support, 2) using a modified format that can't/won't be supported (boo on the game developer!), 3) I don't know, something else?

And like @BoltBait said, please post both the original image (the 1MB one) and the modified one that isn't working (the smaller one). You should be able to attach them in a ZIP file.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

5 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

1) using a format that DDSFileTypePlus doesn't support

@Ccrashh mentioned that the file uses BC1 (DXT1), which is a supported format.

My guess is that the original file has mipmaps and the new file does not.

When clicking Save instead of Save As DDSFileTypePlus will currently default to BC1 / DXT1 without mipmaps.

To save a file with mipmaps you would need to use Save As and check the Generate MipMaps checkbox.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Thanks for the responses. The game is Silent Hunter 4. I've altered the tower before. Its just now Paint.net is giving me a different result. .

Shot 1 is the properties of the original file in  BC1 (Linear, DXT1). That works in game.

Shot 2 is the settings I use to save the file. In this case I did not change the file. I opened the file in paint.net and tried to save it in its original format.

Shot 3 is the new file but now it is smaller and will not work in game. 

The files are too big to upload here (700 kB or so) here is the link to my mediafire. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o2tmtg53k1lho8w/tower_files.rar/file

The zip contains two files. The original file and the file that was written after saving. 

I know its just a silly game but the wife and I are in lockdown. She is a teacher and one of the little Petri Dishes aka students, brought her a present and we are on a 2 week Covid "vacation".  (no symptoms yet). The game keeps me occupied. I've done every hunny-do you can think of. 

Again thank you all for the help. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by Ccrashh
Grammar corrections

I know its just a silly game but the wife and I are in lockdown.

No judgement here, I've been playing rogue-likes (BPM, Risk of Rain 2) and watching simple TV shows like Red Dwarf and the new Duck Tales 😂

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

6 hours ago, Ccrashh said:

Shot 1 is the properties of the original file in  BC1 (Linear, DXT1). That works in game.

According to the DirectXTex texdiag utility the original file is actually BC3 (Linear, DXT5) with no mipmaps.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

3 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

No judgement here, I've been playing rogue-likes (BPM, Risk of Rain 2) and watching simple TV shows like Red Dwarf and the new Duck Tales 😂

I've been building a Doom box!

20201016-080517.jpg

• Like 1