Straight line selection?

I want to manually make a selection with straight lines, but the lasso doesn't work for this. I downloaded SplineMaster but I don't get it, I can't select stuff, also I can't zoom in and out while I do the selection. How can I do this??

Edited by Rick: Fix spelling/typo in title :)

If you want a selection of an image with straight lines around it, then try this.

1.  With the Rectangle Select Tool - select the area you want.

2.  Whilst keeping the selection active, make a new layer.

3.  Go to Effects > Selection > Outline Selection in whatever color you want.

Zoom is at the bottom of the canvas.

zoom.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

22 minutes ago, Pixey said:

If you want a selection of an image with straight lines around it, then try this.

1.  With the Rectangle Select Tool - select the area you want.

2.  Whilst keeping the selection active, make a new layer.

3.  Go to Effects > Selection > Outline Selection in whatever color you want.

Zoom is at the bottom of the canvas.

zoom.png

I don't understand. What I want for instance, is to select the pig in the middle in here, and delete everything else:

minecraft-vuelve-a-estar-de-moda.jpg

Imagine the pig was green, very similar to the green grass, then you couldn't use the magic wand.. how would you do it? If there was a way to make straight lines around the pig to select it it would be easy.

1 hour ago, TimAllen said:

I want to manually make a selection with straight lines, but the lasso doesn't work for this. I downloaded SplineMaster but I don't get it, I can't select stuff, also I can't zoom in and out while I do the selection. How can I do this??

The lasso always draws a straight line from where you are back to the beginning of your selection.  Use this, along with Control-Click to build your selection piece-by-piece:

image.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

The lasso always draws a straight line from where you are back to the beginning of your selection.  Use this, along with Control-Click to build your selection piece-by-piece:

image.png

Its not so intuitive to use vs just drawing some straight lines around the object, there should be a better tool for this.

5 hours ago, TimAllen said:

imagine the pig was green, very similar to the green grass, then you couldn't use the magic wand.. how would you do it? If there was a way to make straight lines around the pig to select it it would be easy.

Use multiple selections using the rectangle select tool as @Pixey suggested. Align one edge of the selection to the edge of the pig (use the move selection tool :MoveSelectionTool:) then press delete to remove that part of the background.

• Rick Brewster changed the title to Straight line selection?