select - copy causes system reset

networks

'Select-All' followed by 'Copy' causes instant system reset. No shutdown process. All work lost.

windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

This happens with all recent versions of paint.net, which worked perfectly under Windows 8.1

Hi @networks Do you have a crash report?  Open PDN and go to upper right of the tool bar and click on the cog wheel :Settings: Settings > Diagnostics and at the bottom see if the crash report is there.  If so, please post it here :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Are you using keyboard shortcuts (if so please tell us exactly which keys), or the menus?

JUst to be clear, are you using Copy? Copy Merged? or Copy Selection?

If the system is resetting/rebooting, I wouldn't expect there to be a crash log from Paint.NET. There could be entries in the Event Viewer though, which might provide more information about what component is at fault.

Only kernel-mode code can cause a blue-screen ("BSOD", blue screen of death) or a reset like that. That includes Windows itself and drivers. Some types of virtualization software, like for Hyper-V, virtual machines, or CD/DVD emulation, are also included. Some games have invasive copy protection that is classified as a "root kit" and also counts. Some malware or viruses are also rootkits.

Failing/damaged hardware can also cause something like this. As can corrupt system files.

I would check/do the following:

1. Are you running any special clipboard software? Anything that gives you extra functionality for the clipboard. If so, try disabling this and see if things go back to being okay.

2. Also try disabling any other types of software that I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph above.

3. Do you have the latest drivers for your video card / GPU? I would make sure those are up-to-date. These often have bugs in them which can cause a system reset, especially if you haven't updated in a long time. If things work okay after disabling "Enable hardware acceleration" in Paint.NET's settings, then this points the finger straight at the GPU driver. You'll want to keep this enabled if possible, as it really helps performance. But, in a pinch, I know I'd certainly rather have the program working rather than running faster/smoother.

4. Run a full system virus scan with Windows Defender.

5. From an admin command prompt, run chkdsk (look up on google for instructions, it's easy). This will check your disks to make sure they are logically consistent and physically okay.

6. Run sfc /scannow (look up on google, it's easy too). This will check your system files (system file checker) for corruption.

7. Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic (find it with a quick search by clicking on the Start menu and then typing in "memory"). Bad memory could even be the culprit. This will probably take an hour and you won't be able to use your system for anything else.

8. If still pulling your hair out you can run chkdsk with the /F flag, which will inspect every sector of the hard drive. This requires rebooting, and runs the check before loading Windows. So you won't be able to use your system. It can take quite awhile to complete, so maybe run it before going to sleep.

If this hasn't happened before and only started recently, I would suspect any other software you've recently installed or enabled.

You can also install the latest 4.2.14 beta ( https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/117126-paintnet-4214-beta-build-7574/ ), which provides more information for the Diagnostics. You can get to that via Settings (gear icon at top right of main window) -> Diagnostics -> Copy to Clipboard. The new beta specifically includes a list of DLLs that are loaded in the process, and that's often a smoking gun as to what can be causing this.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everybody for your very helpful suggestions. It is good of you to share your experience.

I have had serious but unrelated system problems, but eventually found that disabling hardware acceleration did indeed allow me to use paint.net's Select/Copy without causing system restart.

Regrettably installing the latest driver for my graphics card did not allow me to re-enable hardware acceleration without reintroducing the problem, however I am happy to have a working programme. For the record my graphics card is a PNY NVIDIA Quadro P1000, 4x mDP1.4.