Concrete Texture 2

Those are really, really good concrete textures.

If it had not been shown in the very useful tutorial how to do this I would have just thought them actual photographs of real concrete or rock.

That third variation and the 'moss' one, if it didn't include the cracks, are exactly the type of background texture I was looking for a few years ago when creating a games console dashboard skin with a weathered rock/stone theme. I never liked any of the real textural pics I found so gave up on the idea.

I might go back to it now and give it another go.

• Like 1

IHaveNoName.png

Nicely done Welshy. The texture is very impressive.

I've always wanted to know how you create textures with Planetoid 👍

• Like 1

Thank you welshblue. 

After spending a long time and then giving up on trying to get an accurate concrete texture with the pinned tutorial I will start on an abandoned project again.

Long time viewer 1st time poster and I would like to tell you You are a consummate professional here and for future newbies I think the pinned tutorial should be replaced.

It is strange that your talent has not been recognized in some way by the Administrators.  By this I mean your gallery work which showcases the scope of this program and the huge amount of tutorials to show us mere mortals the way.

Thank you again. 

@Ego Eram Reputo thanks mate.  Planetoid is useful for metal, wood, other uses like dirty playing cards ! As in grungy not xxx

@barbieq25thanks mate.   A bit of tweaking and it's easy to make passable rock/stone

@Gnarla thank you.  I'm glad it's enabled you to carry on with something.  Sticky ?  Down to the higher echelon.  Recognition - looking for the guy rocking back and forth in the corner ... but seriously - In my eyes we're all cogs in a machine here, and each cog is just as important as another to make everything work.

I'm just happy if my work inspires or my tutorials help someone to understand it's not rocket science

Thanks too to @MJW and @Reptillian for the reps

PDF added to the tutorial

• Like 1

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery

11 hours ago, MJW said:

especially the second one. The light speckles on the second image really add to the realism.

Thanks for that mjw - in hindsight of a fresh day the first one isn't that good but the second is. Will add some steps later on today

Thanks too to you guys who repped the new textures

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery

You are a very modest guy welshblue.  A great analogy for a machine.

I am sorry if this is seen as anti-establishment but if the administrators do not pin this in place of the other tutorial which is about as concrete like as a cookie then they wouldn't know concrete if it hit them on the head.  Please add the extra steps

8 hours ago, Gnarla said:

You are a very modest guy welshblue.

What can I say, it's a cross I bear, along with being a genius and drop-dead gorgeous ...

8 hours ago, Gnarla said:

they wouldn't know concrete if it hit them on the head

Ohhh I dunno.  I was hit by a brick once ... I knew what that was.

The falling tree is a different story ... didn't know what that was, thought I'd died ... then when I came round almost wished I had.

Just enjoy the forum, there's no bad people here.  Just people who want to help each other (regulars) and the one post members.

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery

Great tutorial, @welshblue!   👍   I can't believe how realistic this looks.  Superb job!

concrete2.png

• Upvote 1

Thank you @welshblue for another excellent tutorial.

I think you missed a link to @MadJik's Displacement plugin. Judging from your screenshot, I also think you may not have the latest version installed.

I understand how you want to demonstrate simple effects without the use of plugins and that's useful for all. However, for the sake of anyone interested, instead of the 3 steps (i) duplicate layer, (ii) invert colours, (iii) move using the arrow keys, I just used the Drop Shadow plugin.

rtVbHqp.png

I thought I managed to get her out of my system but @Ego Eram Reputo's comment made me so jealous I just had to give her another spin.

Xkds4Lh.png

On 10/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, Djisves said:

I think you missed a link to @MadJik's Displacement plugin. Judging from your screenshot, I also think you may not have the latest version installed.

I have (missed) and will download the new one and change the screenshot.  Thanks for the heads up

On 10/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, Djisves said:

I understand how you want to demonstrate simple effects without the use of plugins

More a speed and convenience thing.  Ctrl + Shift + I and a couple of arrow presses is quicker  for me than Effects > Object > Drop Shadow > Settings  ... plus the fact that light and shadow are never the 'same' opacity so I can adjust accordingly way easier.  I do use Drop Shadow sometimes but always on a duplicated layer so that I can blur/ adjust opacity as needed.

I guess it's one of those personal preference things and no right/ wrong way just what works for us individually

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery

2 hours ago, welshblue said:

I do use Drop Shadow sometimes but always on a duplicated layer so that I can blur/ adjust opacity as needed.

That I do myself, having learned the trick on this forum - possibly from you but I can't remember. 

Still, it's worth pointing out (for anyone interested) that shadow opacity can also be adjusted using the Drop Shadow plugin's controls.

Perhaps I should clarify:

When I point out how I do things differently on this and other tutorials, it's neither to criticise the author's way of doing things, nor to suggest that my way is better. It's my way of contributing to the forum, by pointing out alternatives for the sake of any user in the future. 

Edited by Djisves
added clarification

Xkds4Lh.png

1 hour ago, Djisves said:

Perhaps I should clarify:

I didn't see it as criticism.  So no worries there.  

So many ways to use Paint.NET and we get set in our own ways.  Without plugins I'd be lost but some ways I do manually, just because ... I dunno, I just do.

It's what works best for us as individuals, as for making points/ suggestions in tutorials ... always good to open up healthy debate/ plant seeds

A good example is the things we take for granted like Bevel Selection ... the hoops I had to jump through in my Sunk image just to simulate it.  It would have taken about 3 hours using plugins but took 10 without.  I know which way I'll go next time

@lynxster4 ... Thanks.  Nice result.  Thanks for trying it

A good tip for anyone wanting to mix some ... the more water the lighter in colour it is ... 

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery