Saving a PNG to a certain resolution, but then it automatically decreased when I next open the image?

Hi Forum, please help with something that's bugging me... !

When using paint.net, I always save my files as a PNG as I always need to resolution to be set at 300 dpi and can't afford any quality loss.

Reason being, I'm printing out small images to be used on paper and they must look as clear in quality as possible.

Though I've now noticed that if I open an image up again in paint.net that I've already saved and check the image 'resize' option, it has automatically decreased the resolution from when I last saved it? Not always by a huge amount, but still.

It's annoying as I feel I will have to check a lot of my work to see if it still shows a resolution of 300 dpi, even though a lot of it has already been printed.

I can't seem to get my head around why this happens? There's definitely a reason but I'm still a beginner.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by jez84
  • jez84 changed the title to Saving a PNG to a certain resolution, but then it automatically decreased when I next open the image?
53 minutes ago, jez84 said:

Though I've now noticed that if I open an image up again in paint.net that I've already saved and check the image 'resize' option, it has automatically decreased the resolution from when I last saved it? Not always by a huge amount, but still.

This sounds the issue that was reported here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32360-resolution-is-changing-by-01-after-saving-file/

59 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Hello @jez84 please read through this thread, which may explain what you are experiencing:

Thanks, though I have already read this post. It doesn't really cover what I am experiencing here. I know the resolution I want to set, the question is how can it stay exactly at that resolution, even after I save it and re-open it. It automatically decreases itself.

Edited by jez84