Outputting text into a property field

Modus Ponens

I'm trying to write a plugin that analyzes the pixels and extracts some data from them, and then reports that data somehow. For the sake of discussion, let's just say that I want to calculate the average color of all the pixels and then show the name of that color in English. (This isn't actually what I want my plugin to do, but it's easier to explain.) Ideally, when you select the plugin from the Effects menu, the effect dialog would open and it would have a "Run" button or something. Clicking that button would run the analysis and output the color name into a text field in the effect dialog. I know neither how to make the button nor how to update the text shown in a text field in the effect dialog. Are these things that can be done with a CodeLab plugin?

Here's a mock-up of what I'm talking about. Note that there's no "OK" button, since this plugin doesn't actually do anything to any pixels in the image; I definitely don't mind having an OK button in addition to the Run button, if I can't get rid of it, but it's not necessary for what I'm trying to do.

image.png.9e47c63ed6971c043d583303b2cbaf1c.png

3 minutes ago, Modus Ponens said:

Are these things that can be done with a CodeLab plugin?

No. You'll need to make a custom WinForms dialog if you want to do that kind of stuff.

Luckily, there are templates available:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/115325-project-templates-for-visual-studio/

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Excellent, thanks so much. In the post you linked me to, you listed six plugin types. Based on what I have described, can you recommend which of these I should use? I don't really know what all of them are, but I kind of have the vague intuition that I'm making a "PropertyBasedEffect" (the plugin I actually want to make does have two integer properties it will use in its computation).

For your case, I suggest using the one simply labeled "Effect". It's a custom Winforms template that allows you to use the Winforms Designer in Visual Studio.

"PropertyBasedEffect" is what CodeLab would generate for you, and thus, would not be appropriate.

• Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I am planning on sharing it, but thanks for the suggestion.

Now I just need to figure out why Windows Form Designer is so heinously busted.

36 minutes ago, Modus Ponens said:

Now I just need to figure out why Windows Form Designer is so heinously busted.

I too have issues with the designer. Here's what I can suggest:

• Put the designer window on your primary monitor if using more than one.
  • Reset the system DPI scaling to 100%
  • Delete the OBJ folder for the project prior to (re)building it.